News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing lettering from Spectrum 4-6-0

Started by NevinW, November 23, 2008, 11:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I've acquired a new Ma & Pa lettered 4-6-0 #27.  Unfortunately none of the Nevada mining railroads, T&T, T&G, LV&T or BGRR ever had a #27 so I need to remove the numbers from the engine.  Any suggestions about the quickest and safest way to remove the lettering from a Bachmann Spectrum engine with damaging the paint? 

I tried to remove the lettering from an old Rivarossi passenger car a few weeks ago and I was able to remove the paint completely but somehow the lettering remained!  So I am a little cautious about this next project.  -  Nevin

Yampa Bob

I use 91% isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a Q-tip. Don't rub hard, let the alcohol take time to dissolve the lettering.  You should try it first on a hidden portion to see if the loco is actually painted.  Don't let the alcohol run, best way is to keep the surface horizontal so the alcohol will puddle in a very small area.

To make the puddle, dip a pair of closed tweezers in alcohol and touch the tips to the surface. Practice on scrap first.

On really tough lettering, I scrape it lightly while wet with a piece of plastic, the corner of an old credit card works well as a scraper.

Good luck
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

I have tried different methods and found that using Polly S engine black was the best method. The color is about perfect for the backmann color. I have repainted cabs and tenders. Can't tell the difference.

trainmaster971

If you are very careful you can use auto brake fluid to remove the painted on lettering. Apply the brake fluid with a small brush and let it sit for about 5 minutes then wash it off with water and use the small brush to lightly rub the lettering. You may have to repeat this two, three or more times.  Do not rush it.  After the lettering has been removed and the tender re-lettered you will need to apply a thin coat of dull coat.  I have done this on several tenders and loco cabs and once the dull coat is applied it looks factory.  Again be careful and go slow.

Nigel

Quote from: trainmaster971 on November 25, 2008, 07:35:00 PM
If you are very careful you can use auto brake fluid to remove the painted on lettering. Apply the brake fluid with a small brush and let it sit for about 5 minutes then wash it off with water and use the small brush to lightly rub the lettering. You may have to repeat this two, three or more times.  Do not rush it.  After the lettering has been removed and the tender re-lettered you will need to apply a thin coat of dull coat.  I have done this on several tenders and loco cabs and once the dull coat is applied it looks factory.  Again be careful and go slow.
Do NOT use brake fluid - it is a health hazzard, and will dissolve the plastic of modern model trains.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

hotrainlover

Nevin,
I have re-lettered several Bachmann locos, and most; I just repaint the area in engine black.  I re-clear coated the area, apply decals and dull coat the entire unit
Everyone is correct...  GO SLOW.  When re-painting these beautiful engines, or toughing up.

Bachmann Spectrum locos are SUPERB, and the painting is fantastic!!

SteamGene

The easiest way for Bachmann is a pencil eraser.  It is like Ogden Nash's poem about the ketchum bottle:  "first a little, then a lottle."  At first nothing seems to come off - then, all of a sudden, the paint just peels off.  It is safe, doesn't damage anything, and cheap. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

And more prototypical if second hand.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"