News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Why is warm-up needed?

Started by WiriliBL, August 31, 2024, 06:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiriliBL

I have two Baldwin 2-6-2T locos (On30) which when starting from cold jerk several times before running smoothly. However if I let power run into them but not so much that they commence to move for about 30 seconds then they move off smoothly. Does anyone know why?

Len

Sounds like you may have so old lube starting to harden up that gets loose after the motor warms up. You may want to clean the gears and apply fresh grease.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WiriliBL

That's interesting Len. Even though I only bought them three months ago would this still happen if they had been in the store for a long time?

Len

There's no telling how long it sat in a box at a warehouse or in the store. Whenever I purchase a new loco, I always clean them up and relube just to be sure.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

That's exactly the problem.  I had one of the Richmond 4-4-0's, now discontinued, that did the same.  I made it my primary locomotive on my smaller layout over here in Mississippi and ran it every day, every day, every day.  And the problem went away.  However, it's been about two months and more since I ran it and I have a feeling it's going to act like that when I start it up again.