News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1970’s era coupler replacement

Started by CraigB, July 01, 2024, 12:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigB

I have some 1970's era Bachmann HO rolling stock that I'd like to upgrade with modern EZ Mate couplers.  The trucks and couplers are mounted with some sort of "rivet".  There's no screw to dis-assemble.  I could probably force them apart, but I dont wat to damage them so the cars are useless.  Any info on the best way to convert these would be appreciated.

JonJet

You're in luck !!!  I just completed a full set conversion of Bachmann's 1776-1976 Bicentennial cars to Kadee 148 couplers w/Tichy Trucks/wheels.

The plastic "rivet" is just a pin...pry them out with a small screwdriver

The ends of the chassis is perfect for the coupler boxes.

Glue the boxes to the end - drill the hole for the coupler screw - drill out the holes thru the weight block - use a 3mm bolt to hold the trucks on - with a 3mm washer as a spacer - then the coupler height is perfect

I replaced the weight block with a shorter/thicker - so I wouldn't have to drill/tap thru metal

trainman203

If you damage the truck pin extracting it there's no loss at all.  You just have to fill the hole with styrene rod. Scrap plastic sprue from kits is perfect for this job. After the cement sets, re-drill with a pin vise to take a 2–56 screw.  If you use the right size drill, you don't even need to tap the hole, the plastic is soft enough to take the screw .  It's a much better mounting job than the cheesy plastic pin Bachmann used to use in the Jurassic.

Len

Tap drill for a 2-56 screw in plastic is #50. Use a #49 for a self tapping #2 screw.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.