News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Number of Carts an HO can pull.

Started by mershS, June 08, 2024, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mershS

New to this, how many carts can these trains pull. Given its a flat surface.
If need be, looking at the 4-4-0 AMERICAN - PENNSYLVANIA #566 WITH COAL LOAD.

Thank you.

trainman203

Carts?  Like in a grocery store?

😂😂😂😂😂

Len

The high wheel 4-4-0's were designed for speed, not pulling power. Generally speaking, you find the prototype pulling 2-4 passenger cars, depending on their size, or 4-6 freight cars and a caboose. The HO model will probably pull more on level track, but it will not look right.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

JonJet

I have been an N-scale modeler for more than a year...but recently rebuilt My R&D layout to include an HO outer loop

I bought (3) Bachmann SD40-2's w DCC OnBoard...and they will each pull the daylights out of a 10-car train at NMRA standard weights

Digitrax DCS52 @ SP-30 = 56 scale mph... @ SP-40 is 68 mph

Consist of 2 = 73 mph so they don't even breathe hard all alone

jward

I wouldn't expect a 4-4-0 to pull much. It is what it is. If you're looking for a steam locomotive that will pull a respectable number of cars you'll have to go bigger, like a 2-6-0 or 2-8-0.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

This is the standard 4-4-0, not the high wheel version. You can pull six old time passenger cars with no problem. You can pull seven old time passenger cars (with some wheel slippage around the tight curve).
Add some weight in the stack and cab of the loco and you can do ten passenger cars without much problem. It can actually do up to thirteen passenger cars on a layout with broad curves

Feel like a Mogul.