News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power needed for HO Remote Turnout

Started by smithrhjr, December 08, 2016, 09:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithrhjr

My EZ Command Controller has no AC connectors, so now that I purchased some HO Remote Turnouts, I have nothing to power them.  Looks like I have to buy another power pack for around $55-60.  I have an old O gauge power pack that through different connections outputs different AC power which I hope I can use, but I don't know what the Remote power requirements are.  Anyone know?

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Proceed to read:

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 07, 2016, 07:00:56 AM
Quote from: art1boroff on December 06, 2016, 08:23:10 PM
I also bought Bachmann remote control switches; but they need an a/c source; but your controller does not have an a/c source.  What to do?

Easy, purchase a power pack that has AC terminals.  Nothing fancy.  Can be found all over a place like Ebay and inexpensive.  Tons of Bachmann and other "train set" style power packs that are good for little else but this kind of work.  Or, if you want a better quality power source, buy an MRC power pack.  For your purpose, it can be one of the older versions that has a metal case vs a black plastic one.  Both used and new ones are known to be extremely reliable and durable.  

Quote from: art1boroff on December 06, 2016, 11:03:44 PM
Where do you buy the extra spade connectors. The ones Bachmann sells are $ 10.00 and I have to destroy quite a few to achieve what I need.

Are you asking about the connectors themselves or the wire with the connectors?  If just the connectors, this would be the last place I would look to purchase them.  You can go to an electronics store, like Radio Shack, auto parts store, department store like Walmart or home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes for those.  They can even be found on Ebay, likely for less.  They just have to be sized to fit on the gauge wire you have.

You will not have to spend anywhere near $55 if you shop  ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Why can't track power do these switches? With DCC I mean.

Flare

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 08, 2016, 12:31:29 PM
Why can't track power do these switches? With DCC I mean.

A nice idea, but the instructions say that could cause a short-circuit which could damage locomotives.