News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Baldwin 4 4 0 Spectrum Modern

Started by ALCO0001, May 28, 2014, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

Bachmann,

I have the new modern 4 4 0 and it runs flawless and the sound is great !
Well since there are hours of running time on it now it is time for maintenance.IT is time,but in the builder of the day they like gluing things like the sand lines to the lower cover plate for the pickups,the grab irons to the back of the cab and the lower frame,in order to do the maintenance the cab must be removed to get to the screws that hold the back-head (the end of the boiler) to the frame,remove the screws on the lower plate to grease but no!,,,the sand lines are glued to the lower plate so things need to be cut these items that seem to be press fit like the grab irons to the cab that are glued cannot be just slid out of there hole now they need to be cut !!!
I hope you can pass this on since this error will cause much grief along with part replacement ,drilling out of a .80 piece of brass wire at the back of the cab and frame so a new wire can be reinstalled  in the Metal cab and frame .
lucky they did not glue the lines to the front of the cab there press fit like they should be to remove the cab! Nothing worse that working on a machine after a bad mechanic has worked on it !Maybe there is a warranty issue Here?I dont know,BUT Things like this makes it difficult to get another one of these for a double head
Jack

richg

I really see no reason to have to lub a loco. Never have.
Wait until you open the 4-6-0.

Rich

ALCO0001

Rich,
Well I really appreciate that helpful comment .
I can do it all without any problems breaking things ect,but after running over night on a mile and a half scale layout  and forgetting that it was running oops! I believe it is time ,plus lack of maintenance voids warranties if they want not to be nice! Try building an old Bowser Challenger  kit  and detailing it ,have that one under my belt plus a few others And you lube them! ;D
Jack