News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder & sound for Bachmann GP 18

Started by ScobeyLarry, November 14, 2013, 09:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScobeyLarry

Any recommendations for a Bachmann GP 18, made in Yugoslavia?  Just picked it up from eBay, NIB.  Looks like lots of room for decoder. I'm a beginner and have no idea which decoder to install.

richg

This sounds like an older version Bachmann.

What type of motor?  If it is the one with a motor on one end, it might not be worth converting.
No idea of your abilities.
If the motor is slung between both trucks and connected to the trucks by two drive shafts, just maybe.
Both sides of the frame will be connected to the motor brushes. Those have to be disconnected.

Since you say your are new to DCC, you generally have to measure the DC current at twelve volts DC. Most decoders have a 1 one amp limit, at least for diesels. Some have a 1.5 amp limit if they are the shrink wrapped type
NCE makes a light board type decoder specifically for Bachmann diesels with a 1 amp limit I believe.

Rich

richg

Did a bunch of research and it looks like they where made by Mehano.
From what I see, the motor, three pole I think, is in the center and drives both trucks. A couple links say only four wheel pick up and should make it eight wheel pickup. If I saw the proper loco, looks like quite a bit of room inside.
If no one else has seen one, a photo or two here would help.

Rich

Irbricksceo

I found one here, no idea if it is the right one though. Site says it focuses on 1970's - 1980's  era Bachmann so it seems likely.

http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/bachmannhoscalelocomotives/id59.html
Modeling NYC in N

jward

mehano made a lot of the poorer quality AHM stuff, the gp18 was one of these. this locomotive was marketed by Bachmann for a couple years around the time of AHM's demise. much of the AHM stuff ended up being marketed under the name IHC in recent years.

this locomotive would be a poor runner, with 4 wheel pickup, and probably a pancake motored power truck on one end, with oversized wheel flanges not really suitable for running on dc let alone the cost of the decoder necessary to convert it to dcc.

this locomotive will never be a strong performer no matter what you do to it. I hope you didn't pay that much for it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA