News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No power in snap switch control

Started by rile42, February 05, 2012, 12:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rile42

I just tried to install two Atlas remote snap switch control boxes.  I installed the first at the end of two other switch contols.  The end of the original switch control has power coming from it but the new controls don't accept the power for some reason.  I tried both controls and both were faulty.  I had an extra control box, installed it the same way with no problems.
I'm guessing I must be doing something incorrect with the new Atlas switch controls as neither on works.
Any ideas?

jward

if you have an ohmmeter you can do a continuity checque on them. set the meter to read resistance, and do the following:

put one lead on one of the right terminals top or bottom, and the other on the same terminal on the left side. you should read low (near 0) resistance. you should get the sam reading between the other set of side contacts. with the leads on the top left and bottom right you should get high resistance. as high as the meter measures. the same for top right to bottom left.

the center contact of the top 3 should be low resistance to one set of the side contacts, but not both. the left and right contacts on top should be low resistance to the set of side contacts not connected to the top center, but only when the botton is slid to that side and depressed. the top left and top right contacts should NEVER read low resistance between them. the same with the center contact and either of the other two top contacts.

if you get readings other than those above, your switch control is defective. if it is good, go over your wiring.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rile42

Thanks jward.  One of the controls had high resistance across each of the pair of terminals you suggested testing.  The other on had very low resistance across the outside terminals but had very high resistance across the trackage terminals where there shouldn't have been.
I guess, for different reasons, both controls are defective.
I had misgivings about both to start with as the slide buttons didn't seem to work as all my other controls work.  I guess I learned a lesson.....test the system BEFORE installing them on the layout.