News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotives

Started by Larry012, June 19, 2024, 05:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry012

Hi,
My grandson has a RailChief train set and the locomotive has difficulty climbing the incline on an over-under figure 8 track configuration. Can someone recommend a more powerful engine?
Thanks,
Larry

jward

The problem here is not that the locomotive isn't powerful enough, it's that the grade on the pier set is too steep. Maximum recommended grade is 3-4%. The pier set is almost 6%. It really doesn't matter much what locomotive you use, it isn't going to pull well on a 6% grade. You could try to make the grade less steep using the foam risers from Woodland Scenics. They come in gradients of 2%, 3% and 4%. alternately, you could get another Bachmann pier set, double the length of the upgrade section by using both pier sets, and shim every other pier with cardboard strips to get a smooth grade of under 3%.

I have quite a few of the GP40 locomotives as used in the Rail CHief, and on a reasonable grade they pull well.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I agree about the second set of piers but I don't know if there is enough track to be able to do that with a basic figure 8.. He might have to add more track to make the figure 8 larger.
Feel like a Mogul.

James in FL

Get a second loco and double head.