News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC layout/DCC on board loco

Started by dcpauls, November 12, 2011, 06:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcpauls

I just purchased a Bachman 2-8-0 DCC on board locomotive..What do I need to do to run it on my DC layout

richg

I just looked at the diagram and you "might" put a decoder in the bed and cover it with a load. Don't know about the cab area. A Digitrax DZ125 decoder is quite small.
Looks like you have to isolate the motor contacts as I see what looks like contacts between each frame half and the motor. Only four wheels so clean pickups, clean track and clean tyre threads will be a necessity.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H462X_IS001.PDF

Rich

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

richg

That was for another thread. I will leave it there so everyone knows I make mistakes also.
Sorry. I am on a laptop at my girlfriends place and not as convenient as my desktop. Too may pages open. I usually copy and paste to a word document for spell check.

The loco will run with a standard DC power pack but you will have to turn the pack up a little higher than when using a DC only loco. Some remove the decoder and plug in the DC adapter. Your choice.
Some get this loco from a private source and it will not run on DC as the option can be disconnected in case yours does not run.

Rich

Doneldon

dc-

Your DCC Connie should run on a DC layout as long as the dual system CV hasn't been set to DCC only. Some people find that DCC/DC locos run a little better on DC if they remove the decoder and insert the little jumpers which came with the loco. You can try it both ways to see which way works best for you.

Quote from: richg on November 12, 2011, 07:13:07 PM
That was for another thread. I will leave it there so everyone knows I make mistakes also. Sorry. Rich
Rich-

Really? Do you mean to say I'm not the only person who makes mistakes? That's great. All these years I thought it was just me. Oh, happy day!!

-- D

dcpauls

Things are running great.....Thanks for all your help

dcpauls

CNE Runner

My Bachmann GE-45 Ton locomotive run great on DC without any changes. I have run it on DCC and find the starting voltage is lower...other than that I really can't see any major difference in performance.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"