News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lionel HO Burlington Northern 181 Diesel

Started by hap, June 26, 2008, 01:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hap

In trying to revive my old train set for my 5-year-old, I'm looking for replacement parts for the above engine.  A local model RR shop suggested that it might have been manufactured by Bachmann for Lionel, which led me to this site.

The markings on the bottom are "c1976 Fundimensions".  The problem is a dead motor, which sits upon and rotates with the front truck and does not apprear to be separable from the truck.

Any information regarding who made this engine or where I can find parts would be appreciated.

Conrail Quality

The type of motor in your Lionel is a "pancake motor", a notoriously unreliable piece of equipment. It would  probably be better to simply buy a newer locomotive with a better motor. If you do really want to run the locomotive, try looking on ebay for a similar locomotive you can cannibalize parts from. Bachmann has updated all their pancake-driven locomotives, and thus, is highly unlikely to still have any parts.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

Lionel HO was manufactured by different companies.  The sp 4-8-4 was made by Bachmann.  However the diesels I have were not made by Bachmann.  They do not have the pancake motor.  They also have 8 wheel drive. 

hap

Thanks to both of you for your replies.  I actually found another copy of this engine "new in box" on Ebay - we'll see what happens.  Even if it's unreliable, it's important to me to have "my" engine.  If my boys really get into the model train thing, I'll buy them a new, better-quality engine and put mine up on a shelf before they wear it out.

Curious - what does the 4-8-4 nomenclature mean?  In case it's not obvious by now, I haven't played with model trains since I was ~10.

Conrail Quality

In steam locomotives, the first number is the number of unpowered leading wheels, the second number is the number of drive wheels, and the last number is the number of unpowered wheels. Thus, a 4-8-4 has 4 unpowered wheels, 8 powered wheels, then 4 more unpowered wheels. Some locomotives, like a 4-6-6-4, may have four numbers. In that case, both of the middle numbers of wheels are powered. thus, the 4-6-6-4 has four unpowered wheels, 6 powered wheels, 6 more powered wheels, then four more unpowered wheels. Most wheel arraignments also have a nickname as well ( a 2-8-0 is a consolidation, a 4-6-2 is a pacific, etc.).

Diesel and electric locomotives use a different method. Powered axles (not wheels) are represented by a number, while numbers represent unpowered axles. A 2-C-2 locomotive, then, would have two unpowered axles, three powered axles, and two more unpowered axles (if this locomotive were a steam locomotive, it would be 4-6-4). Nearly all diesel and electric locomotives nowadays are B-B(4-axle) or C-C(6-axle).

It's a somewhat confusing system, but it is logical.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Dr EMD

My Lionel HO U18B has a GE dual shaft motor.
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)

kevin2083

Quote from: Dr EMD on June 27, 2008, 10:44:21 PM

which non-existant paint sceme is it in?
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Santa Fe buff

Quote from: kevin2083 on June 28, 2008, 01:36:45 PM

Baltimore & Maine! Black and gray and burple.  :D
- Joshua Bauer

Dr EMD

Mine was repainted to SCL. It was DRGW.

Quote from: Santa Fe buff on June 28, 2008, 03:48:53 PM
Quote from: kevin2083 on June 28, 2008, 01:36:45 PM

Baltimore & Maine! Black and gray and burple.  :D
Electro-Motive Historical Research
(Never employed by EMD at any time)