News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Error codes 308 and 254

Started by majord732, August 04, 2024, 11:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

majord732

Hello all, I just bought a Bachmann EMD SD40-2 with DCC onboard but when I try to get JMRI to view it I am either getting a 308 where the program doesn't see it or when it does it doesn't see the correct MFG of the decoder and then I get a 254 code plus it goes to ez-command listing. Does anyone know how I not can get it to run but also see the right decoder?

Thank you.

Len

Might be one of those situations where you have to lay a 1K Ohm resistor across the tracks before the decoder gets recognized.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

majord732

Now when you spend $160 for it.

majord732

Just for info, I did put the 1k ohm resistor across the rails and did get some information on the family but they were coming up the EZ command section within JMRI. I don't think my layout is lacking power since I have other engines that run without any problems for the most part.

As for the comment for putting it in for spare parts, I would have to say Not when you spend #160 for the engine.

If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Thank you.

Tenwheeler01

This may not help any.

But I have not seen a 308 error on on any of my factor DCC bachmann locos. Excepted for the ones with WOW decoders. It still pulls the CV value but reports a 308 on the read back.(Most of the WOW decoders definitions are not available in JMRI. Most of the settings are inaccurate. JMRI is not very useful for Bachmanns with WOW decoders in them). 

I have seen issue with reading Decoders when I was have poor contact issues. Check the locomotive for good rail pickup and check the wiring between the PC interface device and programing track, And make sure the program track is spotless clean.

I have had to send one of my layout to PC interface devices in for warranty work.  It started having issue reading most decoders.

But if all other decoders are reading correctly then it may just be a bad decoder or poor loco power pickup.

Also make sure you have the latest USB drives. And double check all the JMRI preferences settings and are using a dedicated programing track.  And also double check that the "on programing track" button is selected when searching (I forgot to push that button all the time! And send 5 minutes scratching my head.)