News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridge and Trestle Piers

Started by LGBfan17, January 12, 2011, 01:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LGBfan17

What is the height of the tallest pier in #42523 (Graduated Trestle Set) and #44871 (14-piece Graduated Pier Set)?  Also, what is the increment from one pier to the next in each set?

I'm trying to build a setup for twice around with up-and-over using E-Z Track.

ACY

The 16-Piece Graduated Pier Set is best suited for HO, and is listed as an HO scale item. The Graduated Trestle Set while an N scale item is not ideal because when used as directed it makes the grades around 4%, which is too much for most entry level N scale locomotives. If your loco can make it up, it will only be able to pull a couple cars, without a multiple unit consist of 3 or 4 locos geared similarly.

DanielSan

Well, I have a 16 piece N scale graduated pier set made by Bachmann that snaps to EZ track and it works pretty well. True, it renders an approximate  4% grade and my 0-6-0 loses traction rather than powering out with more than two cars, adding weight to loco helps. My Spectrum SD45 walks up the grade with over ten cars at 40%  throttle on an 11.25" radius curve. These locos are fairly inexpensive so perhaps an upgrade is worth considering. A cool up & over layout can be made using 13 5" straights and 24 5" 11.25 radius curves and it fits in 2 1/2 x 4 feet. 

LGBfan17

I will be using the graduated trestle set with another brand of track that has 13.75" radius curves and 6" straights. The customer service rep from the other brand says their track, though code 55 rail, will work with the trestle set. However, I don't see any printed instructions for the trestle set, either in the package or on the Bachmann website. Does the riser go at the rail joint?

bbmiroku

It is generally helpful to have a support at each joint, yes. Otherwise the track may flex a bit.