News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Disassembly and drawings

Started by Synthmusician, July 08, 2024, 02:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Synthmusician

Hello all:
  I visited my local model train shop (Roy's Model Trains) and found out he'll be closing in August. So while I was there at the shop I took a chance on a On30 2-8-0 with DCC.  I couldn't really inspect it all that close at the shop but it looked in reasonable shape.  When I got it home that's where my closer inspection found several issues.
First someone had removed the cab and it wasn't setting on the frame correctly.  In fact there was a screw in the middle of the cab that I thought was a pin at first.  It looks like there are 2 hooked tabs at the rear of the cab that slot in to the frame, but I can't figure how to get the cab on without complete disassembly.  Not having the drawings I'm hesitant to take it apart.
Then there are several missing cosmetic parts.  The rear tender light is missing, one door window and a couple of the wires that simulate the whistle rope and the other for the bell.  I'd like to replace those.
I'm thinking of adding a sound system into the tender but don't have a proper model number that will plug into the existing system.  I'm a huge fan of the 2-6-0's I own 5 of them.  I wanted a loco with some extra pulling power and this seemed like it would fit the bill with it's weight.  Plus I wanted to help Roy out by spending a little more cash.  I guess as the saying goes "no good deed goes unpunished"
Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Mark

Yard Master

Hi Mark,

You can find the exploded parts diagram for the 2-8-0 here. This will give you the parts numbers for your missing details as well as an overview of how to assemble/disassemble the locomotive.

https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=documents&cPath=21_196_218

Synthmusician

Thank you for the diagrams, I'll be calling to order parts today.   I hope you don't mind but I'm sure I'll have many more questions..
Mark

Synthmusician

OK well I need some suggestions for missing parts.  Some of the parts I need are no longer available online.  I'm sure there are similar parts from other On30 logos that could help fill in the gaps.  I need glass for the fireman side door, one of the safety valves on the steam dome and possibly some of the piping for the boiler.

Also I did order a new tender shell and coal wall since it looks like someone used something on the tender I have to try and remove paint.  What decal set would match the number 27 tender font.  I want to use a different road name and since the Cab is off now is a good time to detail that.  I've order the 27 smoke box door already as well.

Another question can this unit be upgraded to sound?  I've seen them online with sound but cannot find the proper numbers that will work with the plug on the tender.

Thanks again, I'd really like to get this back to almost new condition.  I know someone will say just buy a new one but for what I paid for this it was such a great price I have some wiggle room for parts and I'd still be under the cost of a new one IF I could find one.
Thanks again
Mark

RailMan63

Hi.
I'd put a Soundtraxx TSU-2200 in it.
I'd hardwire it inside the tender.
I've done several of my On30 locomotives that way.
If you can follow a wiring diagram, and know how to solder, then it's a pretty easy job.
The tender should have a built in speaker enclosure in it.
You just need to figure out which speaker fits your tender best.
I use a Soundtraxx 28mm 8ohm 2 watt speaker such as this one currently available on Ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402411693475?
This should fit your tender.
As far as the missing parts are concerned:
If they're not available on this website, then your best hope will be Ebay.
Good luck!
Mike