News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformers

Started by rbrpguy, June 23, 2024, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbrpguy

Hi y'all! As a new G scale train enthusiast I decided trains around the tree at Christmas time just isn't going to cut it. Since then I have been planning an elevated track for my office. My set is The Cow Catcher with an additional livestock car and a log car. I will have 40 feet of track. My question is what transformer will be adequate to power this layout? Model and number would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Greg Elmassian

Most of the stuff on the market is not very good, or does not have the higher voltage that G scale needs.

I'd find a 5 amp laptop power supply (cheap) on Amazon, get a 19v one.

Then find a 5 or 10 amp controller. I'd recommend G Scale graphics, about $50.

No offense to Bachmann, I do not believe they make a 5 amp G scale "transformer" (throttle and power supply)

Greg

Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Loco Bill Canelos

Since your layout is flat, there is no need to worry about strain going up hill.  This USA Trains 4 amp combination power supply and controller should be more than adequate. I t is designed for G scale.

https://www.onlytrains.com/model/trains/RTP4.html

Robby at RLD hobbies may have a better price.  Trainworld is another option.

Have fun with your layout!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Len

I've used an MRC AA370 Railpower 1370 DC power pack to run a similar locomotive, with 4 cars and a caboose, around a 15 ft x 20 ft elevated display track in a store with no problems. That layout was level and used brass track with feeders from the power pack every 5 ft. Adding elevations would up the power requirements.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.