News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 on a small budget?

Started by Dbarefoot, June 23, 2024, 01:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbarefoot

Hello everyone. I hope all is well with y'all and the On30 community. I have a question that pops up fairly often.

What are the best low budget supplies, parts, and kits for scenery, and detail?

With scrap material such as phone wire, balsa wood, and with miscellaneous parts of previous engines, I was able to construct the cab detail.

I am pretty sure there are some links out there, but my google search comes with scattered results. As coming back into the hobby, the economy has become stagnate, and the prices of everyday items in todays time are outrageous. If anyone can be as so kind to point me in the right direction, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
~Dusten

Fred Klein

Dusten, one of my favorite places to shop for modeling "stuff" is the Dollar Tree store. I have found a lot of useful items just browsing their shelves. Some that come to mind are Isopropyl Alcohol (70%) - this one goes fast so if you find it buy it, window cleaner with ammonia - great for cleaning acrylic paint from brushes, CA glue - look in the tool section and Aileen's Tacky Glue in the Craft section. Also, look in the craft section for unpainted wooden signs and wall decor - a lot of these are made from very thin plywood and are great to cut up and use for scratchbuilding structures. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL