Pin Out Connections to Bachmann Mallet Motherboard?

Started by DavidP, June 21, 2024, 11:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidP

Hi all,

I'm converting a Bachmann Fn3 Mallet to battery power with radio control.

I've got it working on the bench with a CVP Airwire CONVRTR-60X receiver and an ESU LokSound 5XL decoder (sound and motors) - lights, etc. have not been tested yet as the tanks are off during the setup process (and awaiting a custom battery to fit inside - but that's another story).

You cannot view this attachment.

I've chosen this combination as it is running successfully in the 3-truck Shay I posted elsewhere and I use LokSound in both this scale and my 1:48 work due to the ability to customise the sounds (the Mallet is running ESU's mallet sound file but with different whistles as I didn't like those in the factory file).

I'm wondering if someone can advise me what the various Auxiliary connections on the Bachmann G828X DCC Adaptor Board make with the motherboard of the loco? ( Smoke, cab light, firebox flicker, etc. ?)

You cannot view this attachment.

Maybe I have missed this on the forum but I'd be grateful for some help.

Not essential as I can work through it by trial and error but it could save me quite some amount of time - once I know all of the connections I will post a PDF spreadsheet for others who wish to go down this path.

Any assistance would be greatly received.

Greg Elmassian

does not indicate the pinout directly.

The other side of the board helps:
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

StanAmes

The Bachmann 2-6-6-2 comes with a manual. In the manual there is a pinout of the socket.

12   Rail +   12   Solid Key
11   Rail +   11   Not used
10   Motor +   10   Firebox Flicker
9   Rear Locomotive Headlight   9   Not Used
8   Smoke Unit   8   Cab Light
7   Locomotive Ground   7   Not used
6   Locomotive Positive   6   Not used
5   Chuff Trigger 1   5   Train Bus -
4   Front Locomotive Headlight   4   Train Bus +
3   Motor -   3   Speaker -
2   Rail -   2   Chuff Trigger 2
1   Rail -   1   Speaker +
Solid Key

As with all Bachmann locomotives with a socket J1 has 12 pins while J2 has 11 pins. J2 also has a solid pin in positions 0 and 12 to help prevent plugging in the socket packwards,

Because the 2-6-6-2 is an articluated locomotive each engine has its own unique chuff input. In the prototyps the engineer would put steam to both engines during starting for maximum power and then as the locomotive gained speed would switch to reusing the steam from the front engine to power the rear engine. the J2-2 pins allows you to produce the same result if you have a sound device that alllows for two chuff inputs or you use a seperate sound device for this pin.

Hope that helps.

Stan