Information about Bachmann Moonlight Express Set

Started by Swedenmango, June 18, 2024, 04:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedenmango

I recently purchased a Bachmann E-Z Track "Moonlight Express" train set and I would love to get more information about my purchase, as I can't find much information online about it. I am attaching a picture for you all, and I hope I managed to make a good purchase. How much can this set be valued at? Here is a picture of my purchase :)

You cannot view this attachment.

Terry Toenges

I can't tell you the value but the roof of the loco is on backwards.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

You have the loco and tender and one car. It looks like there were five cars to the whole set.
Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Besides the locomotive roof being on backwards, checking other pictures of the Moonlight Express shows that the whistle assembly is missing from the steam dome, implying (to me at least) that the engine has had some rough handling and has been (poorly) repaired at some point. Also, the Combine seems to be missing the second brake wheel (left side in the picture) again, implying rough handling - only a close inspection would really tell. Not much value, if any at all IMHO.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

trainman203

Broken record:

Used model railroad locomotives are the ultimate "pig in a poke."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

Verily, verily, I say unto thee. Bewarest thou of the used model railroad locomotive and train.  Knowest thou not of the indignities and sufferings it has suffered, be it having been run to the ground, or used as a weapon against a younger sibling. Knowest thou also not of any hidden terminal internal injuries that may. exist.  Spendeth thee wisely thy earthly treasure, on known quality, therefore avoiding weeping, wailing,  and gnashing of teeth.

James in FL

It appears your tender is missing detail parts as well.
Check eBay completed auctions to see what these have sold for.

Terry Toenges

I looked around on Ebay and it's hard to figure out a price since he only has one car and the loco, plus the track and power. Plus the loco isn't in good shape. People are asking $69 to $135 for locos. The $69 plus $15 shipping one is new.
There is a car with the power stuff for $38.50 plus $12.50 shipping. Prices are all over the board for various assortments of pieces
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Beware of any train stuff on eBay that contains the words, "rare and hard to fine", "collectable", and worst of all, "vintage". Almost none of it's worth what's being asked.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

The myth persists that all old toy trains are worth more than their weight in gold.