EZ command plus throttle sensitivity

Started by Azaqui, June 12, 2024, 08:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azaqui

I purchased the command plus controller recently, and I am trying to figure something out.

I am using a Bachmann GP40 DCC/sound equipped loco. It runs fantastic and audio functionality adds a new dimension to
the fun.

One thing that is super frustrating is the sensitivity of the throttle knob. It takes like 4-5 full 360 degree turns to get the loco to max speed.

How can I adjust this?
Nothing about that in the attached manual.

Terry Toenges

That was why I went back to my standard E-Z Command. I didn't like the "Wheel of Fortune" throttle.
Feel like a Mogul.

trainman203

That can all be improved with motor control CV's.

Azaqui

Quote from: trainman203 on June 13, 2024, 11:30:59 AMThat can all be improved with motor control CV's.

Please, sir, I would like to know more!
Assuming you mean changing the loco CVs?
What needs changing?

trainman203

I checked and it looks like you have the sound value decoder.

Before you do anything, try running that engine on another layout with a different system to make sure it's not your power unit.  Also try cleaning the track and see if that helps.

There's limited motor control CVS In the sound value decoder compared to more advanced ones.  But try advancing CV  2 up one step at a time And see if that doesn't give it a little more kick.

You can also try doctoring CV 5 and 6, "v" meaning "velocity." 

CVs 3 and 4 can be a lot better.  Try values of 50 and 35 respectively.

The below will prove useful over time.   Please note that  CV defaults aren't necessarily the best setting.  And you can always return any CV to the default if you're unhappy with what you set it at.

https://soundtraxx.com/content/Reference/Factory-Installed/Bachmann/SoundValue/bachmann_ho_gp40_sv.pdf

I

Azaqui

I should have specified - this is an N scale GP40. Having said that it is probably the same decoder?

(sound value, guilty as charged)

trainman203

There is not a similar chart provided for a N scale ST 40 but the one for the N scale SD 45 looks almost identical to the one I posted the link to.

I have some more CV settings for you to try but let's get the speed issue fixed first.

Azaqui

Today my micro trains loco arrived.

Stellar model, my mind was blown by the detail.

Still, the e-z command plus trottle knob
needs to be turned several times fully for max throttle (green led bar fully lit).

Is there a way to change that on the controller side instead of painstakingly modifying each locos CVs?

trainman203

That I don't know, having a different systems.

Terry Toenges

I don't know what they were thinking with the spin the wheel throttles unless for more steps for more precise control somehow. I must be dense but I like the exact control and hard stop to know that I'm at the highest I can go with the standard one.
Feel like a Mogul.