News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO 45 Tonner gears

Started by wswats, June 06, 2024, 11:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wswats

Hi all, I have located a bad/broken gear in one of the truck housings of my 45 tonner and have a couple questions. Where can I find replacement gears? & What is the best way to remove the gear rods from the plastic truck housing? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

CNE Runner

I recently watched a video (YouTube) on replacing gears in a Bachmann GE 45-ton truck and it looked VERY complicated. If you want a challenge, gear changing may be it. An alternative approach is to 'haunt' eBay for a used GE 45-ton locomotive (preferably one listed as "parts only") and swap out the truck. Warning: Bachmann GE 45-ton units go for BIG BUCKS! A used one, in running condition, will set you back ~ $250 (although I have seen a couple for a bit less). An NOS conditioned, in the box, 45 tonner will be in the $350 range. [Which is outrageous given they only cost ~ $90 new.] Good luck with your project. I had a popular vendor (name withheld as per forum rules) replace the Bachmann decoder with a TCS unit - as well as a TCS Keep Alive circuit. This was a very tight fit and caused the motor wire to pull out of the decoder in less than a month. Oh, the same vendor returned my locomotive with both stacks broken off, broken railings AND a 4 month wait! In any case, I love these little 'jewels' and run two of them on the layout.

All the best,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"