Changing Outside Frame 4-4-0 tender load to wood

Started by McLean County, June 18, 2024, 07:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McLean County

Hi all,

I have a number of Outside Frame 4-4-0's which come with a variety of extra pieces allowing the modeller to run the locomotive as coal burning, oil burning or wood burning.  I've changed 1 to oil burning and I'd like to change at least 1 to wood burning.  It's a simple enough process given all the extra bags of pieces.  One of those extra bags contains what could be called the "overspill" of wood from the tender.  It sits on the tender floor in front of the main tender body.  But also inside said bag are 2 small metal clips.  What are these for?

When using the coal load in the tender, the "overspill" of coal is contained in place by virtue of small lugs which slide into guides running down the front of the tender.  But no such lugs are on the wood "overspill".  I'm guessing the metal clips are used in some way to keep the wood "overspill" in place.  But how?

Thanks
David

McLean County

C'mon Mr Bachmann, don't you have an answer to my question?

the Bach-man

Dear Davis,
I have no idea. I'll ssee if I have a sample to look at.
Best,
the Bach-man

Fred Klein

Bachman, is it possible that the little clips don't have anything to do with the wood load but rather are the jumpers that are used to convert the locomotive to straight DC? I have several Bachmann locomotives that included these "jumper clips" in the package. On my outside-framed 4-4-0, the wood load nestles very nicely into the tender and doesn't require any retainers at all. Just a thought.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

willis

McLean County

Thanks for your replies guys, but the clips are not jumpers.  I can't see any way that they could be used for DC or DCC.  The clips come packaged in the sealed plastic bag with the small wood "overspill". After fitting the wood load with metal "retaining cage" and then the "retaining board" at the front of the tender, the wood "overspill" sits on the tender floor in front of the "retaining board".  But what holds the wood " overspill" from moving?

I've attached a picture.

McLean County

Maybe I should try to attach the picture - lol

You cannot view this attachment.

McLean County

Fred and Willis, you're right, I've just seen the clips/jumpers/dummy plugs on the Spare Parts page on the Bachmann site.

But that stills begs the quesstion, how does one stop the small wood load from moving around and possibly falling off and fouling the track?

David

Fred Klein

David, I've never had that happen on my 4-4-0. The wood load and overspill have always stayed in place, however, if you think this might become a problem, I would put a small piece of double-stick tape on the overspill which should secure it in place. As far as the main load is concerned, I've never had it move due to its weight. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

McLean County

Thanks Fred, good idea.  I don't think the main wood load will move but the double sided tape sounds a winner.   :)

Cheers
David