locomotive size/wheel arrangement and track curve radius

Started by billgiannelli, December 10, 2014, 06:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

Hello,
Im a newbie with a Bachmann starter set "Jingle Bells Express" with a 0-6-0.
I can see that the starter sets have mostly smaller engines / wheel arrangements  and 18" track curves.
I am starting with tinkering with my 0-6-0.
But in the future I have dreams of hopefully getting a "streamlined hudson".
My question is, when do you need to consider larger track curves? i.e. 22" or larger?
what engine wheel arrangements work with 18" track curves?
do the larger engines that are articulated handle the smaller curves?
thanks
Bill
just dreaming big!

jonathan

If you wish to continue with the 18" radius curves, I would suggest no larger than the 2-8-0 Consolidation.  It's a good runner and puller--one of the best all-around steamers that Bachmann has ever made (opinion).

If you switch to 22" radius curves as a minimum, the possibilities are opened up for larger locomotives, including a few articulateds, like the 2-6-6-2.  The 4-8-2 Mountains will also take 22" radius curves.

Most large steam locomotives do not work on 18" radius.

Regards,

Jonathan

billgiannelli

Thank you very much Jonathan.
You are always very helpful!!!
thanks so much!
Bill

Doneldon

bill-

Not so many years ago, anything larger than a 10-wheeler required broader curves than 18 inches. Some larger locos needed
28" or 30" and big articulateds could require as much as 36" curves. Modern models are built to work their way around much
tighter curves. However, there is a remaining consideration: large locomotives on tight curves look preposterous and some
cannot successfully pull cars through the curves because the locos have such long overhangs. The moral of the story is that
it's not a good idea to put the largest locomotive possible on a given length of track just because it will fit. You'll be far more
pleased in the long run if you keep your layout, tracks, rolling stock and locomotives in scale with one another.
                                                                                                                                                                   -- D

ACY

Bill, I have a BLI streamlined NYC Dreyfuss hudson and it does not run on 18" radius. However 22" radius is sufficient if you do not use the closest or middle drawbar hole. The locomotive does not look very good with the large gap between the tender and cab in my opinion. You can use the closest hole with around 28" radius I think.