News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

50 FT. FREON TANK CAR

Started by ALCO0001, June 18, 2014, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO0001

To the Knowledgeable
I have a few old AHM cars that I  have been thinking about putting some work into to bring it up to snuff .
1 is a AHM 50 FT. FREON TANK CAR, been looking but cannot seem to find any prototype photos to try to match it up and detail ,Kind of like stalling out before even starting .I was wondering if this model is just something made up or did it really exist . IT  has molded brake details on the bottom of the tank , but no true spine frame Humm ???No cradle for the draft gear box ,Anyone fool around with one of these or in general rehab the old and kind of obscure that they do not produce any more?
Jack

jbrock27

Jack, I have found it difficult to modify AHM tank cars for the reason you cite-lack of body material to mount a coupler box too.  I have actually had better luck with modifying an old Lionel HO tank car and Gilbert tank car.   I have given up trying on the AHM tankers.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

ALCO-

As an old hand here I know that you know that this board is for Bachmann products. Hopefully the overlords will give you a pass based on your tenure.

You can do a quick google check to verify there really was a Freon car but I would guess there were a few. Keep in mind that they wouldn't be seen on a contemporary layout; Freon cars would be anachronistic before 1920 or after 1995.

Unless the AHM car has some special meaning for you it's not worth restoring or updating. The detail leaves a lot to be desired, you'll have to replace the trucks (not just the wheelsets), the car probably has horn-hook couplers, the weight is probably off and, generally, AHM equipment is the worst of the worst. You could easily spend $8-10 on the car, not to mention your time, and still have a car worth only $5 to someone who would remove the trucks and couplers and throw the rest away.

If you like the idea of running a gas car, build yourself an Ambroid Navy helium car. It would be obsolete on a modern layout, too, but you can have a museum quality model for the price of the kit and some trucks and couplers.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
                                                     -- D

jbrock27

Long Live The Overlords!!

And yes Doc, these have horn hook couplers, lousy trucks and lack the proper weight.  I don't agree the details are so bad and don't think the cost is as high as you cite, but believe the logistics of not having enough plastic to mount the coupler box to, is the main reason to not bother.

The best option may be to hunt for a Bachmann Silver Series tanker.  Metal RP25 wheels, knuckle couplers, hefty.  They are a great piece of rolling stock when found for a good price.
Keep Calm and Carry On

ALCO0001

Quote from: Doneldon on June 18, 2014, 10:31:15 PM
ALCO-

As an old hand here I know that you know that this board is for Bachmann products. Hopefully the overlords will give you a pass based on your tenure.

You can do a quick google check to verify there really was a Freon car but I would guess there were a few. Keep in mind that they wouldn't be seen on a contemporary layout; Freon cars would be anachronistic before 1920 or after 1995.

Unless the AHM car has some special meaning for you it's not worth restoring or updating. The detail leaves a lot to be desired, you'll have to replace the trucks (not just the wheelsets), the car probably has horn-hook couplers, the weight is probably off and, generally, AHM equipment is the worst of the worst. You could easily spend $8-10 on the car, not to mention your time, and still have a car worth only $5 to someone who would remove the trucks and couplers and throw the rest away.

If you like the idea of running a gas car, build yourself an Ambroid Navy helium car. It would be obsolete on a modern layout, too, but you can have a museum quality model for the price of the kit and some trucks and couplers.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
                                                     -- D

I like the Idea of the helium car , the tank car mentioned was one of those cars that went through a few makers like IHC also and would fit the 60s era of what we are modeling ,but your correct of the work involved with the coupler mounting and trucks ,but honestly Bachmann silver series is limited in tank cars , no 50 ',no 62ft,hope to see some more come out ,but for now I will listen to your advise and go for the helium tank car,some of the older cars of the 60s and 70s have nice detail ,but is covered up by an inch of paint and needs frame mount couplers a good paint stripper and start from scratch like there Flexi flow hopper that 30 yesrs later plano is making a detail kit for .
Thanks Again,
Jack

ALCO0001

I think I  will shelf this idea untill I find some photos of the prototype, have a pic of just the end of this style car with the porch and the coupler box and tank saddle are all casted into one piece , so making your own would take some applied effort but do able with the right putty and file ,then many can be made to fit others,but for later,and for Bachmann they make 2 tank cars 40 ft,single dome and an old 3 dome .Maybe should look into a little new tooling ay!
Jack

RAM

The Freon tank cars and the helium cars were two different animal.  Yes it would be a job to body mount couplers on the tank car, but not so on the helium car.

Doneldon

Quote from: RAM on June 19, 2014, 02:32:51 PM
The Freon tank cars and the helium cars were two different animal.  Yes it would be a job to body mount couplers on the tank car, but not so on the helium car.

RAM-

I know that Freon and helium cars are quite different. I suggested the helium car because it appears that the OP was looking for
something a little out of the ordinary. Otherwise he wouldn't have been thinking about a Freon car in the first place.
                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

jward

just a thought, but would it be possible to use the trucks, tank saddle and draft gear from an old roundhouse "modern" tank car. like the car you are trying to upgrade, it is a frameless design. whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that coupler boxes are under alot more strain than other parts of the car, and building a new coupler mount will have to be stronger as well. from my experience, the usual cut and glue custom made plastic parts won't work well. better to find some way to fasten the coupler mount to the bolster pin or screw if you can.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ALCO0001

Quote from: jward on June 20, 2014, 08:30:45 AM
just a thought, but would it be possible to use the trucks, tank saddle and draft gear from an old roundhouse "modern" tank car. like the car you are trying to upgrade, it is a frameless design. whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that coupler boxes are under alot more strain than other parts of the car, and building a new coupler mount will have to be stronger as well. from my experience, the usual cut and glue custom made plastic parts won't work well. better to find some way to fasten the coupler mount to the bolster pin or screw if you can.

Good thinking there ,Anything in your junk box,I actually have the roundhouse tank in my junk box , but  no other parts for this,I was thinking of a cushion coupler metal pocket and a little filing with a screw to the tank .
What do you think?
Jack

jward

that sounds doable.

a line used to make a metal section which replaced the talgo trucks and couplers on the athearn 85' flat cars. these were one piece and included the bolsters and the coupler pocket. those woul;dn't look right on a tank car, but if you could find photos of them, they could give you ideas on how to fabricate something similarout of brass or plastic structural shapes.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA