Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Keep alive in Bachmann engine

Started by Mike, March 16, 2013, 01:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman203

How long does it run until discharge?

JonJet

The "KeepAlive" and all of it's clones have one inherent fault...

When the capacitor takes over due to bad connection or dirty track...the problem is masked until it becomes a much larger problem

A dirty track issue becomes a much bigger dirty track issue

A poor connection's location is masked by the capacitor

A derailed loco can damage alot of scenery or rolling stock before the 2-4 seconds runs out...it plods right along even after Emergency Stop

Tenwheeler01

The 2-10-0 goes for 3-4 seconds when I turn off track power.  The keep Alive is part of the Motherboard in the tender.   

I do not recommend using Keep Alives for dirty track or dead spots on the mainline for branch lines. I have power feeders every 2 to 3 feet and all sidings have power feeders. I also clean the rails regularly. 

But I have found them use fully for...

Turntables (sounds does not start over or lights flicker when the turntable switch poles).
Unpowered frogs (does not stall on the frog or have a sound glitch).
Reversed track sections auto or manual (sound glitch or restart).

They are not cheap to add to an existing model and can be hard to install or finding room for one in the shell or tender.
And if you do not have a turntable or reversed track section and your frogs are powered. Then I you will not get any benefit from them.

The are pointless on my 8' x 16" switching layout.  They are only useful on my BVR layout. 

Ralph S

As always, I seem to enter the conversations late.  Like others I own Bachmann locomotives, working on buying three more. Question?  Does anyone know what Bachmann model locomotives (HO) that have the "stay alive" circuit? ...Cause instruction manuals and box labeling do not mention whether or not they have or have not this circuit or I'm I just missing something.   

Yard Master

Hi Ralph,
All of our HO locomotives with TCS decoders have a "Keep Alive" capacitor. I believe this is the full list:

-2-10-0 Russian Decapod (item nos. 85401-05)
-4-6-4 New York Central J3a Hudson
-4-6-2 PRR K4 Pacific (item nos. 84405-08)
-Siemens ACS-64
-Siemens SC-44/ALC-42/SCV-42
-GE Dash 8-40CW (item nos. 68511-14)
-ALCO RS-3 (item nos. 68611-15)
-EMD GP35 (item nos. 68811-15)
-EMD FT (item nos. 68911-15)

Tenwheeler01

I wish when reviews are doing reviews on Bachmann locos is TCS WOW decoders they would demonstrate more of the WOW features.  Like the "keep alive" and I would love to see "Proto Notch" in action for Siemens ALC-42 and "true scale sound" for the steam locos.  This one of the coolest features of my Bachmann 2-10-0.         

CNE Runner

I have a Bachmann GE 45 tonner with a Keep Alive/Current Keeper installed. Absolutely NO problems with running. I have been using this locomotive for several years. Oh, said locomotive still retains the Bachmann DCC circuit board.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"