News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4

Started by ejseider, November 21, 2012, 01:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

I've got a 4-8-4 from a Bachman starter set that I received a couple of years ago.  The pony trucks, both front and rear, frequently jump the track at turn outs and re-railer sections.  I've tried adjusting them by bending the mounting brackets to get them to ride more firmly on the track, but that hasn't fixed the problem. I also added some small lead weights, but had to remove them since they were causing binding on curves.   Any suggestions?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a better 4-8-4.  Any suggestions for that?

rogertra

Buy an NMRA gauge, which should be a part of every modeller's tool kit, and check the gauge of both the wheels and the track where the wheels derail.

Jhanecker2

If you are having binding issues you are trying to run the train on radii  to small for the loco & tender . The smallest  radius would be  22" or greater.   Are you  positive  your track is perfect , and have you made sure that your couplers are heighted correctly and not dragging on the tracks ?   The only set that contains a 4-8-4 is the Overland Express  , there are other 4-8-4 in the Bachmann  Line but if your track is the problem they won't run any better.  Also note one can not run large steam locos at warpspeed  through  changes of direction .

ejseider

Thanks.  I'll check the couplers, and the gauge.  The track seems to be fine inspecting it visually, running my fingers along the track, and checking it with a straight edge.  The thing that really stumps me is that if I hand push the engine thru the turn out or re-railer, then back it up a ways and power it thru, it works fine, but the next time around it derails again. 

The binding occurred only when I glued some small weights to the trucks to make them a bit heavier.  I've removed the weights.  The engine works fine if I remove the ponies and run it around the circuit.

wildpaws

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on November 21, 2012, 04:04:22 PM
If you are having binding issues you are trying to run the train on radii  to small for the loco & tender . The smallest  radius would be  22" or greater.   Are you  positive  your track is perfect , and have you made sure that your couplers are heighted correctly and not dragging on the tracks ?   The only set that contains a 4-8-4 is the Overland Express  , there are other 4-8-4 in the Bachmann  Line but if your track is the problem they won't run any better.  Also note one can not run large steam locos at warpspeed  through  changes of direction .

The Spectrum Cavalier set has a N&W J611 4-8-4 (I know because I have one). And indeed your recommendation of 22" radius or greater is spot on.
Clyde

sd24b

also check your wheel gauge.    Phil