News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman K4-6-2 Pacific with DCC on board

Started by Pennsynz, February 19, 2012, 03:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pennsynz

I would like to fit MRC sound decoders to my new fleet and not sure if I can just replace the Bachman DCC unit or do I need to remove resistors and caps on board??  ::)

richg

Just remove the cap or caps. Some have one, two or three caps. What looks like two resistors are inductors. Look carefully at the PC board. R is a resistor, C a capacitor, D a diode, L an inductor. Many never take time to look at the labels on the PC board.

Rich

Pennsynz

Thanks Richg but these new boards do not appear to have those labels by components and the boards are with small components all looking similar.

richg

All the Bachmann steamers I have seen have a tiny prefix near the component., C, R, D, etc. Really tiny letters. Post a photo of the PC board. A photo is always worth at least a thousand words and can eliminate a lot of discussion and get the issue solve a lot quicker most of the time.
Many have one or more yellow capacitors on the PC board. Clip them.
The decoder just plugs into the connector. If the loco goes the wrong way, reverse the plug.

Rich

richg

Ok, I will correct myself. This one does not have the labels. First one I have seen.
I see one yellow capacitor, two wire wound inductors, four diodes, one resistor and the socket. I suspect the resistor is to dim the headlight in reverse. I have one medium USRA tender with a similar setup.

Everyone, save this page to Favorites in your computer Browser. It may answer some questions about Bachmann locos.
Scroll down the page and look for, Bachmann Spectrum K4 Post-War 4-6-2 Steam Locomotive.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/HO_Search/search.html

Rich