Gear Problem with Bachmann Spectrum Baldwin 2-8-0??

Started by ahudson, November 05, 2011, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahudson

I bought a Bachmann 01302 HO Spectrum Frontiersman Set w/DCCWM on closeout from a hobby shop for my son's birthday. It is our first foray into model trains. I watched the video, read the instructions and put everything together. We ran the engine for an hour or so in forward. Then ran it in reverse for a while without issue.

At some point, we started getting a clicking sound only when running it forward. In reverse there is no abnormal sounds. I took the engine apart and rolled the main bottom part to make sure the rods and wheels weren't the issue. There was no abnormal sound. I put it all back together and the sound was still there. It is intermittent mostly and it harder to hear when the train is running fast, but very prominent when running slowly.

I think it is an issue with gear box. I am not sure why but I think the coupling between the motor and the gear is better when running in reverse. I plan on taking it apart again tomorrow to see if there is some play there. Does this sound like a common problem? Is it something I should be able to fix or could it just be a manufacturing issue? Could it be something else?

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to run the train with sound as I think it will make things worse.

Finally, thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

ahudson

Well, I couldn't wait until tomorrow, so I took it apart again tonight. Upon putting it back together one of the little washer type things on either end of the worm drive fell out. Looking closely I could see these washers fit in an exact location to suspend the drive properly. I finally got both washers in the correct locations and the clicking sound is gone. I can't figure out how it got out of whack unless it was like that from the start.

Anyways, if someone is still looking to answer a question, I have another.  There are two copper wing like things under above each set of wheels on the tender. My engine won't run if the first wing is installed or at least every time I put it back. Now I did take the tender apart, so it is possible I wired something weird on the inside.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

jward

look closely at the wheelsets of the truck that is giving you problems. you will see one wheel is insulated from the axle. both insulated wheels in the same truck should be on the same side, and they should be on the opposite side from the other truck. reverse one of the wheelsets and you have a short circuit through the copper strip.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ahudson

Thank You. I checked the wheels out and can't see much of a difference, but it definitely seems like that copper piece was causing a short. I swapped one of the wheels from the set that didn't have a problem with the copper piece and will try running it again this afternoon. What exactly is the purpose of that copper piece? Is it some form of suspension?

Thanks again.

rogertra

The copper piece is for power pick-up. 

And the wheels are different!

On each axle, one side is insulated, the other side is not.  It's easy to tell which side is which.  All four wheels (two axles) on each track must have the two insulted wheels on the same side of the truck. 

Two wheels, on the other two axles, on the other truck must have their insulated wheels on the other side of the truck.

In a plan view it should look like this: -

Ins-----------Non-ins
ins-----------Non-ins

Non-Ins-----------Ins
Non Ins-----------Ins

ahudson

Thanks Roger. I didn't notice the differences with the wheels until I looked closely at the axles. You are right, it was obvious once I knew where to look. I set them up as instructed and I have no issues.

Thanks again. Unfortunately, my engine started making noises again. So I am off to take it apart one more time to see if the worm drive moved again.

Regards,
Alex

jonathan

Alex,

If you are opening up the loco anyway, check the cogged belt that connects the motor to the worm.  You can get a clicking if the rubber portion of the belt has split and is bumping against the frame as the belt turns round.

If it is the belt, they can be had through  the parts department (inexpensive).

Regards,

Jonathan