Spectrum 4-6-0 item 84904 loco-tender hookup problem

Started by hankmack, August 29, 2011, 11:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankmack

This is a hook and eye sysen with the hook from the loco going under the eye on the tender.  The hook in mine slips out easily and I find the loco pulling the tender by the wires.  Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks, Hank

Stevelewis

Sounds like  this  may be  the  same  as  some  Bachmann  00 UK  outline  steam locos,  ( A1, A4  etc)

The  solution is to  bend the TENDER  end of the connection slightly  upwards,  not too much  though as this  could  cause  tender to derail!

STEVE LEWIS   North  WALES   UK

Close  to  the  Great  Little  Trains  Of Wales!!

richg

Tweak it.
I have a couple of these and the 4-4-0. Adjust the link. Adjust the wires. With a small pair of scissors, slit the two plastic tubes around the wires and remove those two sleeves. Adjust the wires for proper operation. I consider this a normal operation with any type of steamers. Many forget this stuff is massed produced and assembled by hand.

Rich

hankmack

Rich---do you mean that the wires should be the pulling connection?  I am new to this hobby and am just learning.

Thank you both for the replys.

Hank

richg

The two plastic tubes around the two wires on one side and four wires on the other side can make stiff cable assembly. With the tubes gone, the wires can flex a little more. If the radius on your layout is say 22 inch, use the closer hole in the draw bar for a "close coupling" effect. If say 18 inch radius, use the otter link for more distance between the loco and tender.
Bottom line, the wires should not be pulling the tender. I did not say anywhere that the wires should pull the tender.
You might have to tuck a little of the wires up into the tender. At least the 4-6-0's that i have, has the plugs on the bottom of the rear of the loco.
I take my time and carefully adjust everything until the loco and tender operate as intended.
Since you are new to this, take your time. I never expect anything to operate suitably out of the box. Many times it does but still suspect anything new.
Carefull observation will tell you  lot.
Oh, I use a small jewelers scrwdriver to gently pry the plug out of the connector. Don't ever tug on the wires to unplug.
Rich

hankmack

Thank you.  I was pretty sure that you did not want the wires pulling the tender. 

There are times when I wonder if taking this hobby up at age 77 was a good idea, but I am learning to slow way down when working on the layout, use proper tools, flex track where ever possible to reduce the number of joints, Peco turnouts and DCC.   I have wanted to take this up forever and now that I have to stay home a lot being a caregiver to my wife (Alzheimer's) I decided to for it. 

Hank

richg

Quote from: hankmack on August 29, 2011, 08:14:55 PM
Thank you.  I was pretty sure that you did not want the wires pulling the tender. 

There are times when I wonder if taking this hobby up at age 77 was a good idea, but I am learning to slow way down when working on the layout, use proper tools, flex track where ever possible to reduce the number of joints, Peco turnouts and DCC.   I have wanted to take this up forever and now that I have to stay home a lot being a caregiver to my wife (Alzheimer's) I decided to for it. 

Hank

I turned 70 back in April. Just take your time and try to ask first. DCC does have a learning curve.
I have to use a Optivisor and a small bright LED flashlight to help in viewing certain things.
I wear trifocals also. Some macular degeneration in my left eye is causing issues.
I know what you must be going through, I took care of my wife before she passed away in 2001

There are knowledgeable people here.

Just in case, there are DCC groups for different companies and the Kalmbach company has a variety of forums.

Bachmann has good products and I have some but they are quite sensitive about too much discussion of products from other companies so I use other forums for non Bachmann products.

Rich

Doneldon

hank-

Welcome to model railroading, your age, dexterity or vision notwithstanding. I predict you'll mostly enjoy it with a few frustrations thrown in from time to time to help you savor those times when everything works just right.

You are correct that your wires should not be pulling the tender. The sleeves are there to cover up the colorful wires and to keep the wires from looking like they are all over the place. They do a good job with that but can get a bit stiff when the wires are tightly bundled and the loco and tender are closely coupled or you have sharp curves. It's like the Aesop story about how individual sticks are easily broken but they are a powerful force when kept together. Anyway it can become necessary to reduce the stiffness of the wire cables. I remove most of the belly of the tubing, leaving just two or three narrow rings of tubing (< 1/8") to keep the wires somewhat bundled. This permits much more flexibility. I deal with the bright colors by painting the wires black. This doesn't cause any confusion because the wires are still attached to their plugs and the very ends aren't painted.

Again, welcome. And don't be a stranger. I'll watch for more posts from you. They don't have to be questions. Sometimes it's fun to share things we've learned or problems we've solved.
                                                          -- D