News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

older Bachmann 4-8-4 J class

Started by GeezerGuy, December 13, 2010, 11:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeezerGuy

I have a Bachmann Norfolk & Western 4-8-4 J class locomotive that I bought circa 1982. It has been in storage for the past 13 years in its original box. I cannot get the motor to turn when I apply current. I took the motor apart and cleaned it and was careful to put the brushes back in the proper places, but still no action from the motor. Is a replacement motor still available? The part number on my owner's sheet is 3240. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.  

jbsmith

4-6-4 Class J?  
One thing that might work would be Light Gear Oil for the motor to lube and help break things loose. Just a drop!
Sometimes another loco pushing or pulling helps,,at least it did when i got a couple of older locos restored to running condition.
Clean the wheels,axles, and any copper pick ups, and A drop of conductive oil here would help too

Here is the link for the 4-8-4 Class J parts,,not sure if the motor is the same but here it is anyway. The motor is on page 2
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_68_89&sort=20a&page=1

Another possibility would be to contact Bachmann service,,that information can be found elsewhere on this site.

If all else fails,,,you can always mount it for a wall decoration or use it as a static display on the layout much like
some cities do with old steam locos.

simkon

Well for one thing the J class is a 4-8-4.

GeezerGuy

The configuration is 4-8-4 and the crazy thing is I know better! Did I mention that I am mathematically challenged? While entering my question I glanced down at the painting on the box and I only saw 6 drivers because the front pair are mostly hidden by the cylinders.

jbsmith

GeezerGuy

Thank you for the link to the you tube video on lubricating engines. It was very helpful.