News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2

Started by rogertra, October 11, 2010, 02:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Sometime ago, well over a year, one of the board's subscribers started a project to convert the Spectrum 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2.

The subscriber posted some interesting photos of his progress to date but then, as far as I can tell, nothing else.

Was the 2-8-0 to 2-8-2 convertion ever completed and could you please post more photos?

I have over half a dozen 2-8-0s and converting a couple to 2-8-2s would keep me busy until I can start construction of a new Great Eastern Railway.

jonathan

Roger,

I converted one to an 0-8-0 road switcher.

Just curious:  is there a prototype for a short 2-8-2?  Doesn't matter (rule #1) just wonderin' :)

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Yes there were many small 2-8-2s.  In fact there are one or two still running today.  Many of the lumber companies had then,, as well as some shot lines.  hey had something like 51 or 54 inch drivers.  Some of them may have even had 48 inch drives.  By the way what is the size of the drivers on Bachmann's 2-8-0?

Steam is King

I don't think that there is enough room nor is the boiler proportionate to accurately look like a Mikado. It would be interesting if the frame of the SY 2-8-2 could be mated to the the boiler assy of a USRA version. I love the SY, it's just that it needs some work to eliminate the Chinese markings.

rogertra

As a follow up, the person converting the 2-8-0 into a 2-8-2 lengthened the boiler by an extra course as well as making the frame modifications required for a trailing truck.

Whoever they are and if they still read this board, please post an update.

J3a-614

Just a reminder--Bachmann's 0-6-0T has 44-inch drivers if I measured them right, and as noted, this was common as a logging size.  Those drivers and possibly at least some of the mechanism could be the basis of some small 2-6-2s, 2-6-2Ts, 2-8-2s, maybe even a 2-6-6-2 or 2-6-6-2T; all of these were offered by Baldwin as loggers, mostly used in the West.  Alco also offered some similar locomotives, with perhaps the best known one being McCloud River's 2-6-2 No. 25, which is still with us today.

jonathan

Roger,

It was Yampa Bob who did the conversion.

I found a post in the first few days of Mar '09, where he mentioned it.

Yampa Bob won't be posting any longer.  His eyesight got too bad to use his PC.  He did mention stripping the boiler, lengthening it 15/16", moving the domes, and a few other mods.

I imagine if you search back a few more months, you'll find his original post.  I got weary of looking.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

Sorry to hear that about  Yampa Bob.  I alway enjoyed his posts.

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on October 12, 2010, 07:08:58 AM
Roger,

It was Yampa Bob who did the conversion.

I found a post in the first few days of Mar '09, where he mentioned it.

Yampa Bob won't be posting any longer.  His eyesight got too bad to use his PC.  He did mention stripping the boiler, lengthening it 15/16", moving the domes, and a few other mods.

I imagine if you search back a few more months, you'll find his original post.  I got weary of looking.

Regards,

Jonathan
Cheers Jonathan.

Sadly I guess we'll never find out how the conversion went.

Atlantic Central

Roger,

Like Jonathan, I have converted a 2-8-0 into an 0-8-0, and this is very prototypical.

The B&O converted several dozen 2-8-0's into 0-8-0's after they were no longer needed as road power. And, they were even Baldwin built locos very similar to the Spectrum model.

As for Mikado conversions, I am doing this:

I am converting 5 Bachmann 2-8-4's into heavy 2-8-2's for my freelanced ATLANTIC CENTRAL. While no loco exactly like this ever existed, LIMA built a similar but slightly smaller Mikes for the DT&I, and after a fair amount of study, I am convinced a loco exactly like this could have been buit if someone has asked LIMA to do it.

Sheldon

rogertra

Quote from: Atlantic Central on October 16, 2010, 01:33:13 PM
Roger,

Like Jonathan, I have converted a 2-8-0 into an 0-8-0, and this is very prototypical.

The B&O converted several dozen 2-8-0's into 0-8-0's after they were no longer needed as road power. And, they were even Baldwin built locos very similar to the Spectrum model.

As for Mikado conversions, I am doing this:

I am converting 5 Bachmann 2-8-4's into heavy 2-8-2's for my freelanced ATLANTIC CENTRAL. While no loco exactly like this ever existed, LIMA built a similar but slightly smaller Mikes for the DT&I, and after a fair amount of study, I am convinced a loco exactly like this could have been buit if someone has asked LIMA to do it.

Sheldon

Nice job Sheldon.  Gives me a few ideas.

Bill Baker

Roger,

I did a quick search and found a message you wrote to someone named Lanny back on January 22, 2008 about the conversion of a 2-8-0 to a 2-8-2.  I remember seeing a thread started by Lanny which had some pictures attached showing the conversion.  I must add that the work was beautiful.  I could not locate that particular thread, but with Lanny's name as a starting point maybe you could find that particular thread.

Good luck, Bill
Bill