News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

emperor of the north

Started by csmith, October 25, 2010, 10:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmith

can anyone tell me if bachman or any other company made an ho scale 2-8-2 mikado with short driers, want to model the movie, does any companies make a emperor of the north set? help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steam is King

Hey There,

Here is a picture of the Oregon Pacific & Eastern 2-8-2 that was the star of Emperor of the North.

As you can tell it is a small driver Mikado. You would need to kitbash for this particular engine. Measurements to scale would be needed. I'm thinking that the Spectrum 2-8-0 would be a good starting point. You may need to lengthen the boiler and you will need to add a steam dome. Changing out the driver's too would be ideal. The SY 2-8-2 cannot be used as they are Box Pox. You've sparked an interest in me on doing this, so I'll do some research and post up some info.

Some data I did find...

Baldwin 2-8-2
Built- 1915
c/n- #42000
Drivers- 48"
Cylinders- 20x28
Weight- 178,400 lbs.
Boiler pressure- 180 lbs.
Tractive effort- 35,700 lbs.

Here is a link to pictures of her during her history...

2-8-2 No. 19

csmith

thanks for taking intrest, keep me posted if you or anyone can find a light mikado or kit bash one

rogertra

Attn. Steam is King.

With a moniker such as yours I'd expect you to be a bit more knowledgable about steam locomotives.

The No. 19 only has ONE steam dome, like practically every other steam locomotive.  What is has are two Sandboxes.  One in front of the dome and the other to the rear of the dome.  The dome carries the whistle on this particular locomotive.

Besides, the Spectrum 2-8-0 is completely wrong for this loco for numerous reasons.  The main ones being: -

One, the 2-8-0 is way too large in all dimensions. 

Two, the 2-8-0 driving wheels are way too large.

J3a-614

No. 19 is very typical of stock logging Mikes built by Baldwin; California Western's No. 45 is similar.  Nobody mass produces anything like this (as noted, the available engines of the general type are too large, including driver diameter), but variations of it have been available in brass. 

This is one of the locomotives suggested as a small engine prospect some time back, possibly based on some of the parts from Bachmann's 0-6-0T, which has what appear to be 44 inch drivers; alternately, the standard 0-6-0 has 50 inch drivers, which are oversize but still close to the prototype's 48-inchers.