Can one use the Display/Test Stand Rollers to program DCC locomotives?

Started by Ralph S, August 25, 2024, 04:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph S

In my search for obtaining additional locomotives, I ran across the Bachmann model 42901  E-Z riders.  I wasn't sure what these are used for... so a search on this wonderful forum found these two queries:
---Display/Test Stand Rollers - E-Z Riders(TM)  and ---HO test track rollers?

What I did not find is:  Can these test rollers be used to program DCC locomotives?  Would there be any drawbacks from programming on the test rollers?

The reason is, I could eliminate my program track (3 sections of 9-inch straight track) and just use the test stand to program the DCC locomotives.  I'm also thinking that I could put the test stand rollers inside my locomotive shed and program the locomotives in the shed.  This would free up space for other items on the layout.

Interested in all responses Pro and Con.

P.S. Terry your image clarifying the E-Z rider is superb!

Len

Short anwer, yes, you can program on the rollers. But...

The rollers get stability from tiping over, and power for the loco, from the track they are sitting on. So you will need at least one section of track, possible two for longer locos. What the rollers will do is let you power up the loco without having to worry about running off the end of the program track after programming.

Theoretically, you could use daisy chained test leads to power the rollers. But keeping them from moving around, or tipping over, would be a problem.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Tenwheeler01

Yes you can.  But do not us them for automatic calibration on a WOW decoder or Calibrating Dynamic Digital Exhaust on a TSU-2 or Blunami. They will not calibrate correctly on the rollers.  Also using them to set the chuff rate does not always work on the good steam loco decoders. This all has to do with the resistance deference between running on rails vs rollers. 

I only used them when I am testing locos, test new decoders and decoders that I you can load your own sound files into (I gave up on these, Chuff cadence issues and sound sample issues).

I also used them for the no longer available Horndy OO live steam locos.