News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 4-4-0 Baldwin

Started by VTBob, July 03, 2024, 11:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTBob

Hello,

How does one get the boiler shell off? I've removed the 2 under the cab screws, and the stack screw, but it's still firmly mounted on there. Is there a screw hidden somewhere that I'm not seeing? I've heard that on the 4-6-0's there's a screw hidden under a dome, but before I go wrenching on the dome, I'd love to know what or if I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks,
Rob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

3rail

VTBob

I have those, but it's not very clear as to what goes where. It's almost like just a parts list all pictured on to a piece of paper. I have removed, both cab screws, the stack, the pilot. That's all I can find for screws that are visible. Is there a hidden screw somewhere?

Thanks,
Rob
R. Montanye

VTBob

UPDATE -- Yes - there are 2 hidden screws that the exploded diagrams do not show clearly. I had to remove 4 detail parts to find them, then I was able to dismantle this locomotive. I found that the running issue was a headlight wire that was pinched & had shorted out under the diecast boiler, and that the bottom plate wires were rubbed raw on the rear axle, also causing a short.

I did buy a new driveline & tender from the scratch-building parts dept a while back so all I have to do is swap the shell. But I have been asking about how to get this shell off for almost 3yrs now. I find it hard to believe that no one has taken these apart on here, or that there's no YouTube videos to point out those hidden screws. I have studied the diagrams, & while there's a very tiny mention of "A" screw on the diagrams, it's impossible to tell where it actually is.

I wish there was a way to post a photo on here without needing some sort of special account somewhere to do so. I'll try to link it from my shop page elsewhere, but I have no idea if it'll work.

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/453626092_10233385446283423_2007488137013048926_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_p526x296&_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=aa7b47&_nc_ohc=iBzTMxCiA7UQ7kNvgEbeaQz&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&gid=AzBGLLHK_lJxzjto47xHATa&oh=00_AYBz_GtKvN-pWRSoZnJAEOqNq1SRw1jBMyJGxogIRHV0WA&oe=66B0612B

Rob
R. Montanye