News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

E-Z Track Figure 8 Pier Set Track Lay-Out

Started by huskydog, June 07, 2009, 06:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskydog

I am using 18" curves and am looking for a track plan to make my expander pier set work.  It must  be simple but it isn't for some reason and i am at loss trying to figure out why my "accessory set" has a "track plan manual" that does not contain a lay-out for the set i purchased.

gauge is HO and base set is a 47" X 38" oval with a 2-6-0 "canadain" locomotive.

thank you

Joe Satnik

Dear hd,

How much room length-wise do you have?  If more than 90": (Table minimum size  39" x  90")

A simple 90 degree X 18" radius HO up-and-over figure-8 would have

9 curves (30 degrees by 18"R),

4 straights (9"),

9 curves (opposite direction)

1 half-straight (4-1/2")

3 straights (9")

1 half-straight (4-1/2")

The half-straights move the center pier of the bridge off the middle of the lower track....(oops).

or you could sub in a single 36" straight (item # 44584) for the upper '1/2-three-1/2' straights

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If you need or want a slightly shorter length, you could do 30 or 60 degree angles between the bridge and under track.  Let me know. 

Edit: Added table minimum size, bold   
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

huskydog

i will try it today...it is interesting you suggest half-straights since the photo on the accessory kit showing the pier figure 8 set up looks as if the track is not nearly centered beneath the  bridge.

geoff

Joe Satnik

Another recipe, with straights just a little short of theoretical math:

30 degree bridge angle, 18" radius curves. 

11 curves each side (30 degrees each), 22 total.

1 straight (9") above and below, 2 total

Table minimum 39" x 77"

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

Another recipe with great promise, straights just a bit shorter than theoretical: 

Need to purchase half (=15 degrees) 18"R curves (Item # 44531)

75 degree bridge angle, 18" radius curves.

9 curves (30 degrees) + 1 half curve (15 degrees) each side, (18 + 2 halves total)

3 straights (9") above and below, 6 total. 

Table minimum size 39" x 85"

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Edit:  Changed "longer than theoretical" to "shorter..."