News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding Sound to Medium Vanderbilt tender

Started by Pacific Northern, August 15, 2009, 07:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Has any one added sound to the Medium Vanderbilt tender?

Other than perforating the coal load I see no other way of allowing sound to be heard, not sure what to do with the tender with fuel oil.

Pacific Northern

Chris350

yep drilling holes may be your only option with the medium Vandy oil tender, they're such a pain to get into it might be worth the investment to grab a newer Hicken style.  They're bigger, but they have a drop out in the bottom that holds a small oval speaker.  Much easier to work with.  The older Hicken style had perforations underneath at the rear.  The slide out casting that holds the decoder and board make installation a bit easier, but it's still tight in there.  Maybe the upgraded design from the Hicken will make it's way down to the medium Vandy.

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 15, 2009, 07:07:18 PM

Other than perforating the coal load I see no other way of allowing sound to be heard, not sure what to do with the tender with fuel oil.

Drill holes in the bottom of the tender.  :)

Pacific Northern

Quote from: rogertra on August 15, 2009, 09:35:04 PM

Unlike the Hicken, the medium tender is basically round with very little area on the bottom to drill holes.
Pacific Northern

rogertra

Quote from: Pacific Northern on August 15, 2009, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: rogertra on August 15, 2009, 09:35:04 PM

Unlike the Hicken, the medium tender is basically round with very little area on the bottom to drill holes.

Between the frames.  Should be able to drill several 1/8" holes.

Pacific Northern

Only room for a couple of holes on the underframe. Would that be enough for allowing the sound through?  Would need to build a baffle to fit the circular hull of the vanderbilt.

Has anyone added sound to the medium (small) vanderbilt tender? If so where did you perforate holes for the speaker?
Pacific Northern