News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho military layout

Started by Daylight4449, February 02, 2009, 06:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

my brother has been watching me grow my layout for years and now wants one of his own. he wants a small 3X5 military setup that can be put away when not in use. our plan, a 3X5 board with a small base yard and a track coming out of it going into the battle field utilizing 15 inch radius curves. We are going to use ez track and one bachmann  plymouth switcher, a bunch of model power military cars, and a dc pack. Any sugestion to helpfurther this dream of his along. I will be helping him get started. we really want a small troop passenger car.

Tylerf

I'm not sure but athearn or walthers sells military transport type cars

jayl1

Model Power makes military freight cars.  BevBel did letter Athearn freight cars of  military branches but are now out of business.  You could also letter a passenger car for the service branch you are modeling.  15" radius isn't much for a passenger car though.

Tylerf

The walthers referance book has a full military section

RAM

It would be better if it could be 3 1/2 by 5 or 4 by 5

Tylerf

Ya 15 inch radius is a little tight

BIG BEAR

I know most model railroader's don't like Tyco, but they had a G.I. Joe
set w/ a 36x45 cardboard layout, Jeeps, tanks, boat , Heli-copter, People,
parachutes all in one kit. Keep trying E-bay. The engine I bought my son 20
some years ago with this set still runs & I have never oiled it.

Enjoy,
              Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Guilford Guy

Walther's makes troop sleepers/kitchen cars.
Alex

Paul M.

3x5 is incredibly small. you'll want a 4x6, minimum, although a 4x8 is considered the best small-layout size for beginners. You'll find a lot of military stuff out there. What era do you plan to model? WWII would be a great era for what you're trying to accomplish. What locale do you plan to model? What season? This all matters...

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Woody Elmore

Years ago a company advertised models of various railway guns. Find one of those for your military train!

barrowsr

Daylight,

You'll find a host of HO scale military vehicles made by Roco.  Many are out of production and may assume collector prices on e-Bay - but train shows are also a good place to look for them.  Roco even makes the standard size GP tent.  A little reaserch will provide photos of how the military loaded their gear on flatcars - always an interesting train!

Michigan Railfan

If you ever decide to expand your layout, Bachmann's Special Forces set is a nice one.  Here's a link to one for $50.http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/bac-00652.htm

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Tylerf on February 02, 2009, 09:40:28 PM
Ya 15 inch radius is a little tight

Might be better to do a Civil War military layout if he has to stick to that radius and that layout size.

Lots of the old Mantua/Tyco 1860s rolling stock is still available on e-Bay.

Terry Toenges

Be careful on what you buy and the scale. Some of the stuff out there is 1/72 scale and HO is 1/87. I think AIRFIX is 1/72.
Feel like a Mogul.

SteamGene

Is your brother looking for realism or just playing?  A lot of the suggestions given work for playing, but have no basis in reality. 
I'd agree that for 15inch radius, the War Between the States would be your best bet.  In addition, there were a couple of battles where reinforcements came by rail, jumped out of the cars and into line of battle.  I'm thinking that Second Manassas was one of them, and perhaps one of the first of the the Seven Day's Battles was another. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"