News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Power Pack Product Code: 44212

Started by ofarrro, January 11, 2009, 05:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ofarrro

Hello,
I'm new to trains as a hobby and have a question regarding my power pack. How much track will this power pack support? I guess the amount of cars would play into it so figure? 

Yampa Bob

Power output to track is .7 ampere, enough for one or two locomotives with a few cars each.  Amount of track depends on how many feeder wires you are willing to add, recommended every 6 feet of track.  How big is your planned layout?
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Joe Satnik

Dear Bob,

0.7 Amps at how many DC Volts?

Is that what you measured or a printed spec?

Do you have any measurements or specs for the 44213 large scale controller?

Thanks. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

Hi Joe
Rating is maximum current available at 12V, from specs at Tower:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEDV7&P=0

44213 is 1 ampere.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGNR5&P=0

Guideline for running multiple locos in consist on DC power pack:

With 10 easy rolling cars, my locos average .28 amp single at full throttle, two in consist at .42 amp with no perceived reduction in speed.  Three in consist draws .56 amp at 3/4 speed, four in consist at .70 amp, but speed only about 1/2. (Tested on .8 amp Spectrum Magnum pack)

Hunt

The original content of this post has been deleted by a random test of a software macro.
                          Hunt

Yampa Bob

DC power packs are typically rated at 15 to 16 volts full throttle with no load. (open circuit).  Voltage will drop to or near 12 volts when a load is applied. (loco on track).  When I test locos, especially for full stall current, I use two meters, a voltmeter across the terminals, an ammeter in series with one track lead.

ofarrro

Thanks so much very good info to work with ..... Update to follow

ofarrro

Yampa Bob,
Your Q:
How many feet of track?
A:
Aprox. 60 feet of track.
Your recommendation
"Feeder wires every 6 feet"
My Follow up:
Currently from my power pack I have 2 red wires that attach to what I will call a "terminal track". Should I repeat this config. every 6 feet? If so does this mean I need a power pack every 6 feet. I sure hope not?
I appreciate your help.... Thanks Bob O'   

Yampa Bob

You only need the one power pack. Best way to feed the track is by running heavy gauge wires (suggest red for + and black for -) around the layout, and tapping into the wires at intervals, say from 6 to 10 feet.

Depending on the shape of your layout, run the heavy wires down the middle and feed both ways to the track.  Main power connection should be at the middle of the buss wires, rather than at one end. (Think "T") 16 AWG stranded main buss wires should be adequate for your layout, with 18 or 20 gauge for the feeders.  Bigger is always better when wiring.

Be sure to observe proper polarity when connecting the feeders so you won't create a short circuit.

ofarrro

Thanks again Bob,
Soon ( within a week or so) I'll put your expertise to use. Update to follow ... Bob O   

Joe Satnik

Hunt,

Not sure I saw it.  Care to repost?  I'll let you know when I'm done.

Joe 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.