News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Barbed wire ir wire fence

Started by Bill Baker, December 02, 2008, 09:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

Does anyone know of a commercial manufacturer that makes barbed wire or wire fencing in HO scale?  If not, does anyone have thoughts on how to make it?  I've tried using black sewing thread, but it just doesn't have the look I'm trying for.

Thanks, Bill
Bill

Jim Banner

Have you tried wetting the thread to help it hang properly, then painting it silver or grey when it is dry?  A bit to a lot of rust colour on top of grey looks good for old barbed wire, particularly if you paint your posts grey with some light smears of green and/or black near the bottom and maybe a little bit right on top.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bill Baker

Jim,
That is a great idea!  My old brain didn't think of painting the wire. I have already aged my posts with a highly diluted black paint, but it never occurred to me about the wire.  Your idea opens up a whole new perspective....I might experiment with silver thread with a touch of rust, or rust thread with a touch of flat silver.  Thanks for the idea.  I've had a modeler's brain freeze for about a week trying to come up with something.
Bill
Bill

db22

Have you tried real barbed wire and then stretch it until it's HO scale. It should be just before it breaks and whips around the room slashing the occupants!

pdlethbridge

The black thread should work but it should be drawn through Bees wax to get rid of the fuzz. Model ship builders trick.

jsmvmd

You guys have given me another item to add to my layout!

Just a brain puff here, but what about sprinkling a little powdered rosin on a beeswaxed line, to simulate the barbs?

Best Wishes,

Jack

Bill Baker

Jack, that's not a bad idea either.  This weekend I'm going to get down to WalMart and select some thread.  I'll try your idea too. As a matter of fact my wife has some old bees wax from her candle making days. (yes, we have electricity...it was just a hobby of hers'.) :)

Sid,
Thanks for the website link, I didn't know they existed.  They have some great looking stuff.  Unfortunately I need about six feet of fence and the brass etching will break my model railroad budget really, really bad. 

Bill
Bill

WoundedBear

Bill...

One never knows what anothers budget is, but I tend to go for the high end stuff.

The site says 333 scale feet.....that should be at least 3 1/2 feet of actual length per package. 2 Packs should have you covered.

Sid