News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

northfolk and western 611

Started by joep, December 01, 2008, 02:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joep

I have a son who is autistic.  He really likes steam trains and has ho size trains. Since he does not understand the value of money he is costing me a furtune. For Christmas he would like a Northfolk and Western 611.  He is not using DCC. My question is 2 fold. One,does Bachmann sell just the train without having DCC on board(keeping the cost down for me)? Second, he already has a N&W 610, can I buy just the outside covering of the train (the shell of N&W 611) and put it on the engine part? Thanks, Joe

jayl1

Just a thought if you do not want to buy a second engine - - Do you know someone who could decal a new number on the 610?  He could paint over (or remove)  the old number & re-do it as 611.  There have been a few threads on this forum on  removing  original lettering from an engine or car.

joep

jayl1

Click the search button above the forum & type in "remove lettering"  There are plenty of ideas there.  Most work well.  I would suggest covering the new decal with a coat of FLAT paint though when finished..

SteamGene

You mean cover the decal with Dullcoat, don't you?  Flat black paint would conceal the decal. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jayl1

Quote from: SteamGene on December 01, 2008, 05:25:44 PM
You mean cover the decal with Dullcoat, don't you?  Flat black paint would conceal the decal. 
Gene

Dullcoat will "hide" the decal.  I should also add - gloss coat the area before adding the new decal.

RAM

gloss coat the area before adding the new decal. Yes  Dullcoat will "hide" the decal.  No.  Dullcoat will not hide the decales.  Oh it might if you put 600 coats on.  One other thing is the kid will want 611 as well as 610.

pdlethbridge

do 610 on one side and 611 on the other. I won't tell ;D

joep

Someone I work with found a website called modeltrainstuff.com  They have the decals I'm looking for to change it over to a 611.  Thanks to everyone who has helped!  You helped make a little boys Christmas!!!!

grumpy

Before you make the changes have a look at Broadway limited they also sell the N and W
4-8-4 . The loco is excellent and may sell lower than Bachman's at some shops.
Don :)