DCC layout

Started by [email protected], October 11, 2024, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I am interested in starting a DCC layout      What do I need to get started
Thank you

Dennis

Fred Klein

Dennis, since you didn't tell us what you already have, I'm going to assume that you don't have anything. Therefore, before you purchase anything DCC related, I would highly recommend that you do some due diligence and research the various aspects of DCC, especially the differences in controllers (DCC's equivalent of a DC power pack) because, depending on the manufacturer, each controller will have different features. Also, you may want to read up on the DCC spec at the National Model Railroad Association's web site, since they maintain the standard. One thing to remember: Even though the NMRA has standardized the DCC spec, that standardization pertains mainly to running trains - all of the other features and functions are left to the discretion of each manufacturer. Once you become informed, you will find it a lot easier to decide on your purchases.

The short list:

- A DCC system of your choice
  - At least one locomotve with a DCC decoder installed
  - Track
  - Rolling stock

There may be something I've overlooked but this is all that comes to mind now. I'm sure other model railroaders will chime in and expand on the list. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

trainman203

And every vendor of DCC systems has a starter set. 

I have experience with several systems but this is the Bach Msn's house so it's not really appropriate to talk about other Brands of equipment.  I will say that I started off with a Bachmann EZ  command and used it for a year before I moved a more advanced system which anyone with a serious pursuit of Model Railroading will want to do.  EZ Command is not unlike learning to ride a bicycle with training wheels, it's very simplified and limited but gets the job done.

Even with a basic system like the EZ Command, you'll be astounded at what realism you can achieve with operation and sound.  Good luck in your quest and report back to us how you are doing.