News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann High Rail Equipment Truck DCC

Started by trgrassijr55, October 08, 2024, 03:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trgrassijr55

Hello All,
I received my Bachmann High Rail Equipment Truck found this on Ebay it has DCC and it works and LED's works
I run NCE DCC systems.  I was able to add this truck as address 86 to my JMRI Decoder Pro which allows me to add the truck to my engines table
When I run the truck on my layout I ran into 3 problems.  Problem 1 over road crossing that I made using woodland scenic products. I cut away the material and now the trucks run through the crossing Problem 2. I use Atlas Code 83 track, and it has trouble going over a turnout Problem 3. It has trouble going over crossings 45 and 90 have not tried the 45 crossing yet.
Problems 2 and 3 I am still trying to resolve but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

Len

I don't have a High Railer, but on the code 83 turnouts, I've run into two issues with some locos:

1. The guardrail gaps are too wide. Some strip styrene to narrow them makes a big difference.

2. On some, the frog area is higher than adjascent rails and some smaller locos will hang on it. Some judicious work with a flat file cures this.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trgrassijr55

Len

Thanks for the input

Do you any photos of the turnouts you modified would like to see them.

Tom

Len

Sorry, I didn't think to take pics at the time. And right now my layout is in boxes. The oversize flangeways are a common problem with most commercial turnouts, and I'm pretty sure others have put pics of the fix up on the forum. If you use the forums search function to look for flangeways, you should be able to find them.

The frog height problem is easy to find. Just slide an index card across the top of the rails towards the frog. If it's too high, the card will snag. Just reduce the height with a fine flat file until the card no longer snags.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trgrassijr55

Len,

I think I figured out the problem. 

I put my NMRA Standards gage on the truck's wheels and found the rear wheel was a little tight.

I figured this out by lightly pushing the truck over the turnout and found the truck was binding on the rails between the points and frog on the turnout.

This lead me to checking the wheels.

Now I need to figure out how to adjust the wheels on the truck.