News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reversable trains

Started by [email protected], September 25, 2024, 02:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

I am new to building layouts   and I am interested in getting a reversable track set up  My question is  to make the car go back and forth  you need reversable track  right  what about the trolly or car   do they have to be able to be used on that track or it is a special  car I need to buy?  or its the track itself  that reverses the polarity
Thank you

Dennis

trainman203

Bachmann had something like that once. Google is your friend.

Len

There are basically two types of 'back and fort' reversa operation tracks.

1. Bump and Go: Most often found in larger scales like S, O, and G where a trolley goes back and forth. The "fenders" on the trolley are designed to push in and throw a switch inside the trolley to reverse direction after it strucks a bumper on the end of the track. Does not work well for multiple car trains. Found on both AC and DC powered tracks.

2. Electronic Reversing: An electronic circuit is used to reverse the polarity of DC current on two rail track. A metal wheel bridging a gap in the rail is the most common triggering mechanism. Others are a photo detector or a magnet beneath a locomotive or car triggering a reed switch. Will work with a multiple car train if the track is long enough.

The Bachmann HO and On30 reversing trolleys are of the second type and use the gapped rail method of triggering. The extra wiring needed is hidden under the special "reversing" track that comes with the set. You need to purcahse the same type of special track to expand the track length.

Other manufacturers sell stand along reversing units, which may allow for intermidiate stops, that can be used with regular two rail track. The triggering method varies with the unit. There are also plans available for 'build your own' reversing circuit available on the internet if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

You need the reversing unit. not just the track. The reversing unit is what reverses the polarity of the track once it is triggered. You can use any powered loco or trolley and long as it is short enough to bridge the gap in the track on each end. I had a reversing set-up using Thomas The Tank.
You would probably be better off to buy one of Bachmann's reversing trolley sets that has everything you need to get started.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ralph S

Interesting thing that was not mentioned.  Bachmann has a point to point reversing track set.  It's model number is 44547.   Beware models 44847 and 44547 one is "N" scale and the latter is "HO" scale.  It's a bit pricey for me at this point in time, but I am still thinking about getting this reversing system.  I already have a few of the reversing track from an earlier purchase in trying to obtain other items.

I also asked earlier in this forum about: Had anyone tried splitting the Reversing Trolley Car Set?  Unfortunately, I got no responses for that query.   ...But I'm still thinking about it for my HO museum track engines.

Sorry got off the subject.  From my research,
1.  I have not determined if the track system works with DCC.  I believe it is made for DC (analog).
2.  Any engine (locomotive or trolley DC powered) will work.
3.  It's the track and its autoreversing controller required to make it work.
4. See page 146 in the Bachmann 2024 catalog for this reversing system.

Hope this helps.

Terry Toenges

Ralph - What do you mean about splitting the set?
Feel like a Mogul.

JonJet

To expand the Auto-Reversing set...You will need reversing track for every inch of length that loco's need to be running...

Any additional lengths You want to add to each end can be regular style track

Be careful...it's very easy to mess up which track goes where at first...the "powered" section is one end of the auto-reversing length and the other a/b section is the other end - loco's will only run between those 2 track sections

To lengthen the loco distance but auto-reversing track - any other added lengths can be regular track

The set only works with it's included transformer (DC)

Any loco that will operate on DC can be used

"Splitting" the set would require another transformer and another a/b track

If you are thinking N scale...I'd recommend you contact Me before buying - I have a somewhat expanded set I'd be willing to sell

Terry Toenges

You can use regular E-Z track in between by running jumper wires between the external wiring on the reversing pieces. I used the jumpers when I wanted a bridge in my reversing set-up.

--------------------

-------------------

-----------------

----------------

Feel like a Mogul.