News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Chemical Plant Industrial Layout

Started by Len, September 22, 2024, 04:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

This is the track plan of the Pfizer Chemical plant in Groton, CT from the 1954 Sanborn map book. It could be built as a stand alone switching layout, or made part of a larger layout. The plant produced citric acid, oxalic acid, penicillin, vitamin A, and a few other things I can't recall these days. It could be turned into a production plant for almost anything on a layout.

When I worked there in the early 70's a GE/Cummings center cab purchased used from the Navy, replacing an Alco S-2, moved things around the plant. When I was there it was painted dark blue, but at some point after I left it was changed to orange. Also after I left, a couple of SW-8 switchers were brought in. Various types of tank cars predominated, but there were also a lot of box cars picking up bagged chemicals of various types, and an occasional covered hopper. There were two runaround tracks to make it a little easier cars to be shuffled around.

The plant:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Len

trainman203

Len

Very! Never thought I'd find one with the track plan of a place where I worked at one time.

And that's not the mainline outside the plant fence. It's a very long spur that runs from the New Have mainline, past Pfizer and down into the Electric Boat Co. shipyard where they build submarines. Which is also in the maps, but probably a bit large for even a stand alone layout. There also a couple of single track spurs for smaller business off the main spur.

Len

Terry Toenges

A layout with a submarine would be cool. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Go for it! The inset image on the lower left splices to the top of the right hand image. My father worked at EB for over 30 years, rising from machinist to Ship Supervisor before he retired.

Len

Terry Toenges

My layout days are over. My oxygen level goes way down just walking from one room through two rooms.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

That center cab had me stumped for a minute. It was an oddball for sure, especially with that cab.

This is a GE 80 ton, one of the very first built. It dates to the late 1930s, when the very first standardized diesels were starting to appear. The 80 ton was a more powerful cousin to the 44 tonner in Bachmann's line, and starting in WW2 this model gained the sloped hoods and semi-streamlined cab often associated with small GE locomotives.

The early GE center cabs usually sported a steam locomotive style headlight mounted atop the hoods, making them a very unique looking locomotive.

Fortunately, this locomotive has been restored at the Valley Railroad, regaining the steam locomotive style headlights in the process.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Railroad_(Connecticut)#/media/File:Valley_Railroad_0901.jpg
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

It was painted dark Navy blue, with an oval Pfizer logo centered on the cab, when I worked at that Pfizer plant. The "Safety Orange" paint job came some time after I left.

Fun fact: After a production run was completed, a lot of the mycelium molds a product was extracted from were washed, dried, crushed, bagged and sold as fish food. Which accounted for regular deliveries of empty box cars to haul it away.

Len

Ralph S

Does your experience from this layout..., was there a helium production plant in the area?  I am trying to figure out how to make/build a helium plant on my layout.  I have several helium tank cars but no helium plant for them.  Goggle doesn't do justice on what a helium plant looks like.

Len

Sorry, no helium plant. Just chemicals and submarines.

Len