News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

I found in a store...

Started by bbmiroku, September 11, 2024, 05:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

A store in my town is selling a Big Hauler Christmas 2-train set, no. 90054. At first glance it seems to be mostly there, except for the white controller. There may be some track missing if I look closer.
Point is, it's $60. Should I get it? I'll see if I can plug it in and test it first, of course.
I feel like even for a pair of passenger cars and a bunch of track, $60 is still a decent price. Am I incorrect?
Anybody have this set and can tell me a bit about it? Do you enjoy it? Is it more work than it's worth?

Fred2179

Quote from: bbmiroku on September 11, 2024, 05:41:29 PM2-train set, no. 90054.
If that really is a 90054, with the train and the trolley, then $60 is a great price. There's a used one on eBay right now for $349. Forget the track - it's pressed steel and will rust, although if there's a loop or two they will work around the Xmas tree for a few years.

It's old production, but those 4-6-0s soldier on and can easily be fixed or updated with a modern chassis. The trolley's are fine but melt contacts or gears if over-used. Again, easy to install a better motor block. The coaches are better with metal wheels but the plastic works.

The track is a 4' diameter circle and the loco looks ridiculous (imho) going around the corners. I personally would invest in a circle of Piko 6.5' diameter curves, or something similar that you find used on eBay or Facebook.

It's definitely a bargain if the locos work.

bbmiroku

It has the engine/tender, two passenger cars, and the trolley. I know it has some track, but I don't know if it's all there. In theory, I suppose the trolley goes on the 4' circle of track, and the train goes on the 6'x10' loop.
And yes, the plan was to put at least the circle and trolley around the Christmas tree. You caught me!
Would a Bright Boy bring life back into the track?

G stuff is soooo expensive.

Fred2179

Quote from: bbmiroku on September 11, 2024, 06:47:01 PMWould a Bright Boy bring life back into the track?
Yes, but as I noted, it will rust, eventually. By all means clean the top of the rails if you think they need it.

bbmiroku

It's going to take them a while to rust out here in Arizona, where the average humidity is under 25% and the rainfall is miniscule