News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Whistle Signals

Started by Len, September 12, 2024, 12:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

When visiting layouts in the area, I've noticed some folks who didn't grow up around trains just blast the whistles on their sound locos like kids do with their O-gauge Christmas trains because they aren't familiar with actual signals. For those new to the hobby who would like to know what those signals actually mean, here's a chart of common signals. There may be minor variations here and there, but these are generally accepted signals:

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainman203

The new age engineers on the CSX passing our house almost never clearly articulate an actual crossing signal.  That surprises me because I thought that every action on today's locomotives are monitored from remote operations and that management can read every molecule that goes on in the Cab.

I might say that the crossing signal is the only signal used today.  Crew radios have eliminated the need for all of the others.  Except maybe the two shorts when starting.  I've never heard too longs for starting the train.

Len

We have CSX, NS, Amtrak and NCDOT trains running through here. CSX seems to be a bit random on what you get at crossings. NS seems to use two shorts instead of two longs for starting forward, but otherwise seems to use standard signals. Amtrak and NCDOT both generally stick to the standard signals. At least around here.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

CSX also uses the grade crossing signal for bridges and tunnels too. My wife and I used to go camping near Magnolia, WV on the B&O, in an area infested with bridges and tunnels but no grade crossings. You could literally hear the trains for 20 miles at night. Our camping spot had two tunnels and a bridge just to the west, and another tunnel about 2 miles to the east, and listening for the horns gave us some idea how close the trains were.

It should be noted that some of these signals were not used by the lead engineer, but were instead signals from the conductor to the train via the air line. Cabooses often had a small whistle on the end platform, and using this whistle would move the needle on the air pressure guage in the locomotive. It was a good way for the conductor to communicate with the engineer.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA