News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My first (N) layout!

Started by bbmiroku, August 19, 2024, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

I have decided to start my first N-scale layout in my closet on top of my desk.

The desk is 20x40 with a little cubby deep enough for a keyboard.

I'm going to put a thin (maybe .5 inch) 21x41 foam board on top of it, cut out holes for the four legs of the computer stand, and lay a grass mat on top, cut to size.

I have a Bachmann DCC Alco Mogul from 2013 I recently got at a swap meet for $35, some train cars and cork roadbed I got from the local hobby shop from MicroScale, Woodland Scenics Fine Ballast (gray), a 33x35 grass mat and some trees from Michael's, a terminal joiners from Atlas, and a MRC Railpower 1300 I got for $5 at the same swap meet.

I have enough curved and straight track from Atlas. I still need the rerailers and the right-hand turnout (remote) to start running my train.

Then I'll get about 2 feet of N-scale roadway, a ballast spreader, a bumper and some glue and start to scenic.

I will have pictures soon, and hopefully an update!

This is my plan, made in AnyRail v.7.

bbmiroku

I picked up 2 pieces of 1"x2'x2' pink insulation board from Home Depot earlier today and, using the metal end of the measuring tape they have at the self-service cutting station, scored and snapped them to the right dimensions, making sure to take the chunks with me for future use. I also picked up a stapler, staples, and foam-safe glue (Titebond wood glue) to glue down the grass mat and staple the edges.

Tonight, I make simple terrain!

Question

Even if I plan to run this little loop on DC power, should I make the switch track a DCC programming track, or just leave it all DC?

bbmiroku

I stapled and glued the grassmat down, realizing I had to go get another.  So I was only able to scenic a portion of the foam.  I'm not going to foam out the "mountain" in the middle, instead just wrap it in a strip of grass mat and glue some flat rocks to it from outside.  In Arizona, there are plenty of rocks outside.

bbmiroku

I made a final plan for the buildings I want on my display. The "brown" line on the right is a town street.

bbmiroku

I finished with the grassmats.  I may have to pick up a 21"x41" piece of plywood to help the foam straighten out.  Weighting the foam hasn't worked so far.