News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Hauler Packaging

Started by rbrpguy, August 21, 2024, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbrpguy

Hi Ya'll! We all know how well packaged Bachmann Big Haulers Train Sets are now, but how about 1992? Specifically inquiring about the Big Haulers Golden Spike. I have been extensively searching for a photo of the packaging from that time with zero results. I bought one in an auction as ("Brand New, Never Opened, Never Used, No Damage) quite the contrary. Was shipped in the original box, box no indication of damage.Shows extensive use (wheel wear and scoring),box opened numerouse times and enough damage to render it inoperable. Had a half piece of thin clear plastic covering engine and tender, boxcar and caboose uncovered inside of box. I photo documentd every detail. Just trying to add as much documentation as possible to insure full purchase price refund. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RailMan63

Hi.
I bought that exact set locally in 2009, and the packing was exactly as you describe.
Mine was perfect, and I still have the cars.
Messed up the loco, unfortunately (dropped it on the floor).
Replaced it with an Anniversary 4-6-0.
Where did you buy yours?
If it was on Ebay, all you have to do is open a dispute, and use Item Not as Described.
Tell them why you need to return the set, include a few pictures, and Ebay will notify the seller.
If the seller doesn't respond, then Ebay will step in and force a resolution within 2 weeks.
Sounds like you got ripped off.
Hope you get your money back without any hassle.
Good luck!
Mike

rbrpguy

Thanks Mike! Yes, Ebay and already in process. Pity, I like the set :(

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Guys,
There were seven different Golden Spike Series Sets. Most were limited to 3600 sets. PRR set limited to 5000 sets. 
All golden series sets after 1991 came in foam packaging.  I am guessing your set was the UP set, unfortunately I do not have a picture of the set in its packaging.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rbrpguy

Thanks Bill! I was certain if anyone had a photo it would be you.

Loco Bill Canelos

Most welcome, 

A little more research indicates All Bachmann sets had foam insert packaging.  I looked at several 1989 1990, 1991 sets and all had foam packaging. If need be I would be more than willing to testify to that as an expert witness. Many sets with foam packaging had the clear sheet over the Loco and tender which were in foam insert packaging. 

Your 1991 UP Golden Spike set should have had foam insert packaging, since it did not it is additional evidence that the seller was not describing the set accurately. 

Please feel free to copy this email and send it to Ebay.  Ebay is welcome to contact me if needed.

William (Bill) Canelos
[email protected]

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi all forum members, 

I did not want to put this in the message above, but I despise sellers who play the new in box game hoping they can get away with it.  I will help anyone else who needs it with a similar problem. In purchases which say new in box and in which wheels show wear, you can easily copy a photo of a similar set also on ebay showing what unused wheels should look like.

Here is a photo of the packaging from a 1988 set with foam insert packaging: Clear evidence Bachmann used it from the beginning!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305559357437?_nkw=bachmann+big+hauler+train+set&itmmeta=01J5XT2QSYXVJ3V6VJ2W4Y73QJ&hash=item4724c1c7fd:g:5jMAAOSwtCZmPm1D&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKnZANHhKi622ArVWPej3TqrqrITVwmfIMs3a3EViZK7hI6xKiBXZxyBbXEMxGO30PIfsm2%2FxzdeZvaRjTiehhgEzstEbJtVOzYpU0lZg90b6%2FqC0c0VKTTN5eYbCNp%2Bn2lkUjekMgmX6RJtFLYFBulnbvtypF6XeT7b4Ys42rtxzrNIQhuIYTbX5YO5vRChMDSo7zjqCO%2FmT9rvwMJ3NyCGgG7dzHbsOOrKXeY1YDi135RGH%2BmaaA8RCPdbXC%2FVoIuHI1BvMSvy6ZDizLJe2IXc%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR479irqvZA

Here is a photo of a Big Hauler 4-6-0 showing what unused wheels should look like: you will need to scroll down to see the wheels.  While this link will be gone by the time you might use it it will be easy to find another.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/145756142818?_nkw=Big+Hauler+4-6-0&itmmeta=01J5XT8Z4S3V3D2NW1A1DYD6QZ&hash=item21efbe3ce2:g:-fMAAOSw5HpmNF~3&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx%2BKZ9MfhVJKnuJpumyaDcDzlVOP6pVQf5epiqFDN5l1ivZD9QG36gkOcaxm9Y33Ki8DnEn%2BsydXhJvPT5mcsmhhoPRikm%2Bn%2B2va4VTEx9O2esqjDzrPhBrKsrXJc8dETH3nP8TzrIBals%2BAqXBQ1A6ahWILpqBo9O1awwu1%2BdnXZlthAPQMOb4zhP2lrkpH4%2FU%2BLeXd%2BuIXKfVsO2x8rC0HW3xwTEA1BhWWUXYXFRPmYt%2BdfAeTC%2FZ30OyIy8r8cfCUUeVu1SiZc%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR7zyo7qvZA

Take care on Evil Bay!

Bill

RailMan63

Hi!
I'm been assuming that this set is similar to the one that we are currently discussing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/395458145587?
I'm not sure of the vintage(Bill?).
If it is, them it should look like the one here.
Mike

RailMan63

Is this the exact set that you bought?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296483124760?
And is this the seller?
It is the only one that I could find sold recently (June 22,2024)on Evil Bay.
This way we can all know that this seller is dishonest and not to be trusted if he is indeed the one!
Thanks!
Mike

Loco Bill Canelos

No Mike that is the Golden Spike set which is different than the Seven sets in the Golden Classics series.