News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Retry Hook & Loop Couplers

Started by lirrman, August 09, 2024, 10:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lirrman

My previous post received lots of views but no replies so I'll try a new way. Will Bachmann's hook and loop couplers, in packaged product #78979, 3 pairs of hook & loop couplers, fit on a Bachmann 44 ton little diesel?

Len

It would be easier to use a freight car with NEM coupler pockets to make a transition car. Replace the hook & loop coupler on one end with an NEM shank knuckle coupler available from Bachmann or Kadee. Couple that end of the car to the knuckle coupler on the loco and the rest of the train to the hook & loop coupler.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

lirrman

Thanks Len, but here's what I'm trying to do. I have a Jouef Steam loco & tender with hook & loop European couplers. The tender provides the power & electrical pick-up. However only the rear 4 wheel truck of the tender does the picking up. The rear truck is about the same size as a typical freight car, so it tends to stall at some, but not all, switches. I was hoping to use the Bachmann 44 ton switcher behind the Jouef tender as an extra "oomph" to stop the stalling. The Jouef tender and the 44 tonner run at almost the same speed so I'm sure it will work if I can get them coupled up.

Len

I can't see any way to install the Bachmann hook & loop coupler on the 44 Tonner. What might work is using Marklin E218420 couplers to replace the knuckle couplers on it though. You might have to adjust the length and width a bit, but it should work.

Len

bbmiroku

It's been a while since I've been on it, but the Kadee website has instructions for most trains to convert to their couplers.  I assume some careful thinking would get you the reverse.

lirrman

I'll give them a call or e-mail.  Thanks

lirrman

Thanks Len, I'll look into it. I don't think it's feasible to change the tender and the front of the first passenger car to Kadees. Every once in a while I come up with these "you can't do that projects". Model railroading can be challenging. I don't mind a challenge.

Len

Quote from: bbmiroku on August 09, 2024, 04:22:54 PMIt's been a while since I've been on it, but the Kadee website has instructions for most trains to convert to their couplers.  I assume some careful thinking would get you the reverse.

The problem is the way the knuckle couplers mount to the 44 Tonner. There's just no way to fit the Bachmann hook & loop in the space available. It does look like something could be done with the Marklin E218420, or similar, hook and loop coupler though.

Len

bbmiroku

True... but with a file, a little plastic, and some glue, anything can be possible in this hobby!

lirrman

Right. I spend al lot of time upstairs waiting for glue to dry in the basement.

lirrman

Me again, Len.  Your optimistic "nothing is impossible with a file & glue" got me thinking and looking. I have a Rivarossi 0-6-0 tank engine that runs like scalded cat, which is why I haven't used it. However, being an Italy manufactured loco, I checked it out. Although it had Kadees on it, the coupler pockets seemed to be designed for hook & loop also. For $3.85 I bought two replacement hook & loops. SUCCESS. The little loco coupled up and the consist ran great. Thanks for the "never give up" attitude.
Walt