Difference between EZ-Lube types?

Started by Wren59, August 06, 2024, 09:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wren59

I'm trying to decide which of the three EZ-Lube types to buy (I can't really afford multiple at once) should I go for the light EZ-Lube or the heavy EZ-Lube? all of my engines have very simple valve gear, and don't have a lot of exterior moving parts.

all feedback is appreciated!  ;D

trainman203

There are different types of lubricants because there are many types of applications and one size does not fit all.9

Gears and axles want a grease type lubricant that won't run all over the place.  Steam locomotive running gear wants a molecule sized droplet on each of the points.  So molecular that a leprechaun could not see it with a microscope.  It is very easy to over-lubricate and eventually see it run all over everything.  I've done it and the cleanup is not only difficult, it's never really 100%.

Wren59

thats understandable for sure, but which should I use for lubricating the wormdrive?

trainman203

The "worm" is part of a gear train.    Use a light grease.  Liquid oil will spin off the spinning worm and will run all over the place.  And make a mess impossible to completely clean.  Believe me. I have made this mistake.