News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann Stanley thread

Started by JacobSK, July 31, 2024, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacobSK

I haven't seen a thread for Stanley, so let's get one going!

Cannot believe he's got a prototype almost one year to the day that he's been announced. Talk about progress. It appears he has an open cab, too. Unexpected, but appreciated. The question I have is: will he recycle Thomas' chassis? Or will he have one unique to him? I imagine his wheels will be new. I can see plenty of OO model makers using Stanley's wheels to kitbash a more accurate OO Thomas.

Chaz

I'll admit I wasn't expecting Stanley to flat out reuse Thomas' chassis, but hopefully it doesn't affect its performance too greatly.  He still looks a lot better than I expected so far and I'm excited for further updates on this model.  I can see him selling fairly well once released.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Edward and Duck.

N Scale Sudrian

Interesting that it uses the HO Thomas chassis in its entirety... I suppose the eye mechanism is excised in favor of one fitting Stanley, though. Still, quite an economy. I remember somebody suggested this exact setup for Stanley before, and at the time I thought it wouldn't happen due to the wheel sizing and placement of HO Thomas not aligning with 'CGI' Stanley in the kind of picture-perfect way Bachmann tends to prefer nowadays... This is the same company that opted to make a new tooling for N Scale Toad despite a perfectly acceptable Graham Farish 'Toad' already existing in their tooling library, after all... I'm not sure if I am glad to be proven wrong in this case since its not clear yet just how far this chassis strays from the show model, but I assume for most the exact wheel sizing and spacing will not detract from the Stanley Experience, ha ha.

It does make me wonder if Bachmann will use this strategy for other product suggestions yet to be announced... I struggle to think of any instances that hue as close as Stanley to Thomas, but then again I would have said the same about Stanley to Thomas before this reveal... Spencer's chassis recycled for a Flying Scotsman or Merlin, perhaps?

Either way, this model sample looks excellent and I am happy for fans of Stanley. :)
N Scale modeler. Primarily interested in UK and US outline stock, as well as the "Thomas" line.
Hoping for Edward and Mavis...

Armada Starscream

Is there a prototype of Bachmann Stanley available? If so, where could I find some images of it? I haven't been able to find any.

Chaz

Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Edward and Duck.

Armada Starscream

Gotcha. Thank you Chaz!

Indeed, he looks quite good. Plus, that silver gives an interesting look at how Stanley's silver smokebox will look like.

Cheeky_ULP

If there's one thing they need to do before they begin manufacturing, is switch out the Thomas wheels for Edward wheels. Nearly every Thomas custom they've shown on streams has done this, as Thomas modellers tend to agree that the Edward tooling wheel looks more accurate to the Marklin BR55 wheels they're based on.

RailsByRick

Quote from: Cheeky_ULP on August 03, 2024, 11:37:54 AMIf there's one thing they need to do before they begin manufacturing, is switch out the Thomas wheels for Edward wheels. Nearly every Thomas custom they've shown on streams has done this, as Thomas modellers tend to agree that the Edward tooling wheel looks more accurate to the Marklin BR55 wheels they're based on.

I agree the wheels need to be changed. Bachmann does accept some feedback to a certain extent. What is the best way to communicate to Bachmann that the wheels should be changed to Edward's?

TrainFan97

I predicted that Stanley would reuse Thomas' chassis, and I was right.

Doug Blaine also finally acknowledged Harvey and Diesel 10, saying they are possible, but their attachments would make them very expensive to produce. I may be late to the party on that one, but I was away for several days.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Fernando, Norman, Den, Dart, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.